Odd Cateye lights question

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited November 2007 in Commuting chat
I have a Cateye compact opticube front light.

I managed to knock the switch bit off at the back. Now the light is a sealed unit (its 50m waterproof apparently) an I've put the switch bits back on (but must be missing a spring or something as its now floppy) but can't see who the heck it switches it on as there is no link between the switch and the inards.

Any ideas how I overirde the broken switch or is it down to the LBS for new unit?

cheers
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• 50m waterproof? useful to combat the effects of global warming i guess :)
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    t4tomo wrote:
    I have a Cateye compact opticube front light.

I managed to knock the switch bit off at the back. Now the light is a sealed unit (its 50m waterproof apparently) an I've put the switch bits back on (but must be missing a spring or something as its now floppy) but can't see who the heck it switches it on as there is no link between the switch and the inards.

Any ideas how I overirde the broken switch or is it down to the LBS for new unit?

cheers
    It uses a magnetic switch hence why there's no visible link between the switch and the inners, thats how it can claim to be waterproof upto 50m.
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    Is it still under warranty?
    I didn't realise it's 2 years, and managed to get a replacement for my 18 month old light that i'd dropped.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    cheers I have realised its magnetic - found the spring in the lift where I mashed it but no sign of the little magnet.

Warranty - hmm I'm sure I'll need a receipt for that and even if its less than 2 years old, which I'm not sure it is, I certaily don't have the receipt.

I need to find a source of a very small magnet to see if I can get it working again. In the meantime I've bought a Trek light to replace it whose bracket is more suitable for the folding restrictions of the Brommy.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem