Bottom bracket recommendations?

andymiller
andymiller Posts: 2,856
edited December 2007 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone got any recommendations for a durable square taper/JIS bottom bracket. Obviously there's the Shimano UN73. But I've also been looking at Phil Wood and Stronglight BBs. I'm attracted to getting a BB with replaceable bearings.

Comments

• royce

Cant find the web address right now but interesting interview here
    http://www.63xc.com/willm/royce.htm
  • andymiller
    Graeme

Cheers for that. It was looking like Royce vs Phil Wood. Emailed a question to Royce yesterday morning and got an answer from Cliff that afternoon - I can see a lot of advantages in being able to deal with someone in the UK rather than someone in the US.

The Royce address is a bit of a weird one:

http://www.genisysconsulting.co.uk/royce-uk/home.htm
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    andymiller wrote:
    Graeme

Cheers for that. It was looking like Royce vs Phil Wood. Emailed a question to Royce yesterday morning and got an answer from Cliff that afternoon - I can see a lot of advantages in being able to deal with someone in the UK rather than someone in the US.

The Royce address is a bit of a weird one:

http://www.genisysconsulting.co.uk/royce-uk/home.htm

What a choice, Royce or Phil Wood? Both will last a lifetime, and I know the Phil Wood can be easily serviced, get which ever is a bit cheaper
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    I have a Phil Wood steel spindle BB in my touring bike and it's been great, which is to say that it just goes about doing its job without any fuss. Can understand about getting a UK product for service but the PW's have a reputation of not needing any. Also, I believe the Royce comes only with a Ti axle whereas the PW's come steel or Ti. Check this site for PW's- www.aspirevelotech.com. They appear to regularly ship to UK. It's best to get a couple of the installation tools so that you can hold both cups at the same time.
  • andymiller
    canamdad wrote:
    I have a Phil Wood steel spindle BB in my touring bike and it's been great, which is to say that it just goes about doing its job without any fuss. Can understand about getting a UK product for service but the PW's have a reputation of not needing any. .

This is true, but Royce seems to have a pretty good reputation too.
    Also, I believe the Royce comes only with a Ti axle whereas the PW's come steel or Ti. Check this site for PW's- www.aspirevelotech.com. They appear to regularly ship to UK. It's best to get a couple of the installation tools so that you can hold both cups at the same time.

Yep I think the choice comes down to sensible stainless steel or titanium and British. Head and heart thing really.

Thanks for the aspirevelotch link. Hubjub seem to be a good source of Phil Wood stuff (though mainly oriented to singlespeed and fixed stuff). Prices aren't as cheap as aspirevelotech but once you get whacked for tax and duty and the Parcelforce handling fee they're probably comparable - at least for small orders.
  • 4candles
    4candles Posts: 240
    I've had a Royce BB for 12 years still silky smooth... i'd get another as they're only a phone call away and in the UK.
    :wink: