Club Dinners

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
What's yours like?

Ours was brilliant this year with a top UK pro coming along. You can't beat a bit of carvery action is always welcome.

Anyone do anything other than a meal and trophy presentation?

Comments

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    In the 1960s the Dulwich Paragon club invited Christine Keeler to guest at their ACD and she accepted:

http://imageevent.com/dulwichparagon/ar ... =4&s=0&z=2
  • A two wheeled pub crawl, there will no doubt be a few encounters with the hedgerow on the return leg.....
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    A two wheeled pub crawl, there will no doubt be a few encounters with the hedgerow on the return leg.....
    Ditto.................we've even had people lost in ditches before now, with their other halfves driving around looking for flashing rear lights by the side of the road............not that I condone such stupidity of course.

Our awards are of the "freestyle" variety, with people winning awards for falling off, and generally making arses of themselves at some point in the previous year. I won an award a couple of years ago for "single-handedly bringing back the low-pocketed casual cycling smock" on account of the baggey jerseys I used to wear!
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Entertainment provided by (superb) senior section rock group, "53/12" and junior member band (with self-penned numbers) - also pretty good.

Micro-bike time trial round a 20' circular course in front of the stage. I was disqualified for doing a cyclo-cross dismount and running the entire course. Nowt' to do wi' the fact that I'm now too old to be able to ride such an infernal machine

Unicycle race same distance

Always do self-service meal - formal dinner and speeches done away with when we started getting loads of kids from the Saturday Club coming. Much more fun.

Usual presentations of course
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    It sounds as though ours is very 'straight' compared to some! On Saturday we had our formal Dinner Dance, with guest speaker David Harmon and David Duffield also present (he's a club member). Harmon was excellent - very amusing and interesting. Lots of cross-toasting, party poppers, noisy balloons and lots of older folks telling us "I remember when we used to ride to Aberystwyth and back in a day............ we'd get up at midnight, ride 120miles before it got light.............."

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Lots of cross-toasting

That is a wierd tradition of cycling club dinners I have not experienced elsewhere.
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    It sounds as though ours is very 'straight' compared to some! On Saturday we had our formal Dinner Dance, with guest speaker David Harmon and David Duffield also present (he's a club member). Harmon was excellent - very amusing and interesting. Lots of cross-toasting, party poppers, noisy balloons and lots of older folks telling us "I remember when we used to ride to Aberystwyth and back in a day............ we'd get up at midnight, ride 120miles before it got light.............."

Ruth

Ruth, apologies for my ignorance at the welsh CA dinner, I should have at least said hello as you were only sat 3 places down from me but I'm afraid I got carried away in the excitement of it all..... :roll:

Our club dinner is a relativelt formal affair involving lounge suits and posh golf clubs. Only muggins here turns up in a jeans and T shirt.... :roll: The pub crawl ride is with a different club a number of whose members I work with, and whilst I don't think it's their formal annual dinner, I think it's one of those cult events that attracts a certain type of p1sshead cyclist (of which I seem to know quite a few). Many years ago pre family I regularly set out on weekend tours around midnight on a Friday havings spent most of that same evening quaffing stella in one of Bristol's finest bars....
  • BeaconRuth
    Ruth, apologies for my ignorance at the welsh CA dinner, I should have at least said hello as you were only sat 3 places down from me but I'm afraid I got carried away in the excitement of it all..... :roll:
    Don't apologise, It was my fault as much as yours, Steve. I realised that I'd failed to meet both you and Chris W that day, but by the time I'd gone and got my photos and the trophy they'd failed to award me, everyone had cleared off home! I do like the Welsh CA Luncheon, though - a big effort is made to acknowledge everybody's achievements, it's not just about the big hitters at all.
    Our club dinner is a relativelt formal affair involving lounge suits and posh golf clubs.............
    What do you do with the golf clubs, Steve? :wink:

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Don't apologise, It was my fault as much as yours, Steve. I realised that I'd failed to meet both you and Chris W that day, but by the time I'd gone and got my photos and the trophy they'd failed to award me, everyone had cleared off home! I do like the Welsh CA Luncheon, though - a big effort is made to acknowledge everybody's achievements, it's not just about the big hitters at all.
    Our club dinner is a relativelt formal affair involving lounge suits and posh golf clubs.............
    What do you do with the golf clubs, Steve? :wink:

Ruth

I did wonder why this hadnt happened, I only assumed that it was because Beacon RCC isnt affiliated to SWDC...clearly not!

Drink and eat in them? :wink:
  • BeaconRuth
    No, Steve. Somebody had told somebody else that I wasn't coming, despite me having replied to my invite saying I was coming, and receiving acknowledgment of receipt. It rather put the dampers on the day given I drove for over 5 hours in some very foggy weather to be there.

Ruth