Biog53
Biog53 Posts: 3
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi am new here, i have had to lay off playing rugby for a couple of seasons now due to back problems etc and was thinking of getting into mountain biking.
The first problem is i am a student so is there any cheap bikes second hand or new that i can learn on and the second problem is i have never done mountain biking like before.
Any help would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hi amd welcome

What sort of budget are we looking at? May well be worth reading some of the existing threads to get a feel of what is available.
  • Looking at a max of £100 unfortunately due to being a student not looking for anyhing special (luckily) just something that i can learn on, bend, abuse and then progress upwards, even a cheap frame will do and i can buy bits as an when i can afford it.

Cheers
  • supersonic
    I am a big fan of budget bikes, but I feel £100 is pushing it - they simply cant take the abuse, and usually due to older designs of the frames are not readily upgradable.

2nd hand is an option, but you need to know what you are buying, and be prepared to put the maintenance in. Steer away from anything with rear suspension, or steel framed.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    supersonic wrote:
    Steer away from anything with rear suspension, or steel framed.

The rear suspension I can understand, but why steel frames? Steel frames (provided that they are cro-mo or cro-mang, and not so-called "high-tensile") will outlast an aluminium frame by a country mile every time. In addition a good quality steel frame has a more forgiving ride and is easily repaired.

If I was buying second had I'd have a cro-mo steel frame before anything else. Except titanium perhaps, but I think that MIGHT be a little outside this chap's budget.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    I've never seen any bike at 100 quid with one cromo tube let alone seven! You may get lucky 2nd hand: most at this price will be hiten and weight 8lbs or so, and ride incredibly badly.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    supersonic wrote:
    I've never seen any bike at 100 quid with one cromo tube let alone seven! You may get lucky 2nd hand: most at this price will be hiten and weight 8lbs or so, and ride incredibly badly.

Agreed. Plus in all likelihood it'll be bent!

At risk of sounding mightily snobby, I think you're going to struggle on that budget Biog! Check out eBay for a start, you never know you might get lucky!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    Yep, the budget has to be upped really. 150 can get you some nice kit, like a Giant Boulder (well, maybe 160 ;-)). Alloy frame, 24 gears, aheadset, sealed hubs - corking bike for the money. The leap over a 100 quid bike is amazing.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I got my second-hand Claud Butler Rock for £105 (off ebay), with 7005 alloy frame, 24 gears, Deore rear mech. My dad also got hid Claud Butler Stone River 06 disc for £100, including Cateye lights (worth £40) ans 2 locks (another £30). If you look around, and are willing to buy second hand, there are some bargains to be had!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs