presta valves & pumping

bossman13
bossman13 Posts: 106
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
schoolboy question i know but how do you pump up these buggers???

have taken off dustcap (a start!) and undone the valve fully but every time i try and pump up there is just so much pressure i cant get any air in.

have tried with a couple of pumps (including track pump) so come to conclusion i am doing something basic wrong.

thanks

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The valves tends to stick. It just needs a quick push down to free it after being unscrewed it and you will be ok.
  • I've recently sheared a number of presta valves off when pumping up, using both frame pumps and minipumps. Probably user error, anyone else done the same? How to avoid?
  • i've never sheared one but i reckon they're fiddly things and the little stem on the unscrewing bit always gets bent. i think it is best to use a pump with a hose between pump and valve as opposed to the pump straight on valve; push it on directly from above and try to pull straight upward when removing the pump.
    i've had valve sticking so that looks like bossman 13's problem
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    lol I blew the valve on mine at the weekend with a track pump but in all my biking history this last week has been a mare for punctures !!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    3leggeddog wrote:
    I've recently sheared a number of presta valves off when pumping up, using both frame pumps and minipumps. Probably user error, anyone else done the same? How to avoid?
    I sheared a valve like that once so I now always carry a couple of tubes just in case. It's a bit of a show-stopper if you are relying on patches and your valve has gone! It also means I have a spare spare to donate in case I encounter a fellow cyclist in need.

When I need to pump a tyre up out on rides I lay the wheel down on the road surface and place something like a large stone under the valve for the end of the pump to push down against. It is much easier to pump the tyre up to a reasonably high pressure that way because you can use your weight on the pump rather than relying on brute strength. This works for me.

At home - it is much easier to just use a track pump.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I've sometimes found that as soon as I try to put air in the pressure indicator hits max and you can't put any more air in (even on a relatively flat tube). Lightly waggling the valve / hose can clear it. Make sure you only move it lightly though! Don't bend the tube valve!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Don't waggle it. Just push the end in a bit or give it a tap inwards. As long as a bit of air is released it will pump up OK.
    When pumping up with a frame or mini pump try to hold the pump and the rim with the same hand and always hold the pump square on to the valve. It is a bit fiddly but saves a lot of trouble. Also as suggested support the wheel on something. I find a farm gate to be as good as anything.