new chain

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
ive just used the chain checker tool and i need a new chain ive had bike for a yr now and done about 2600 miles,do most chains need replacing about now then, and do i just need to put the chain on and dont need to alter anything

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You'll need a new cassette aswell.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    You'll need a new cassette aswell.

no, he might not, Andy, inspect the teeth on your cassette as per this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
  • If you change the chain regularly then a new cassette is not necessary. I have a Sram cassette that is over 3 years old and I have changed the chain 3 times with no gear slipping problems.
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    Just to add. Roughly how often should you change your chain? Mine's probably well over due.
    It's all good.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    Adamskii wrote:
    Just to add. Roughly how often should you change your chain? Mine's probably well over due.

When it's worn and before it starts to wear your cassette/chainrings.
    (my last change wasn't done on any scientific grounds, i just thought, that feels/looks (nudged it/prodded it (with my fingers!) round the chainring) worn and decided it to change it. Felt much much better afterwards.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I changed my chain and the cassette is fine, no slipping, its perfect.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Somebody on here said "treat chains as disposable items". This is good advice - replace regularly and you shouldn't need to change the cassette.
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    the chain hasnt been slipping yet does that mean its ok
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    andy610 wrote:
    the chain hasnt been slipping yet does that mean its ok
    Go find a steep climb and ride up it. If it hasnt slipped by the time you get home your ok :D
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Andy. Do you mean your old chain is not slipping yet. If the old one starts slipping you are way past needing a new one and will definately need a new cassette. If you have fitted a new one and it is not slipping you are OK.
    If your chain checker is just up to the renew mark I would do so as you will probably get away with the cassette. Then ride in the gears you use most and see if it works OK. It may make a little more noise than before but if it shows no sign of slipping then go with it. The noise will settle down. I usually get 3 to 4 chains to 1 cassette. I use Dura-ace chains with Ultegra cassettes as I find that they last longer and have been cost effective in the long run. My last cassette did about 11000 miles on my summer bike followed by 3000 on the winter one. Probably 5 chains.