Supplements or not

howiejmidlands
howiejmidlands Posts: 389
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
I have been back on the road a few weeks now, and phew today it was cold, windy and wet.
Whilst i was out, i was thinking should i start to be taking any supplements.

I have started taking a muti vitamin every day, but was more intereseted in the SIS supplements.
Will these benefit a newbie rider or are they designed for the more lithe and proficient bikie boy that i am not!

CHeers
Just a fat bloke on a bike

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nothing a good diet won't provide.
  • Apparently ginger is good for you. (Stole of BR tday...)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i take protein shakes to help my legs rebuild, you can get 5kg for £30 if you know where to look and its good stuff as well!
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    i take protein shakes to help my legs rebuild, you can get 5kg for £30 if you know where to look and its good stuff as well!

5kg? Where do you get that from if you don't mind me asking?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • spasypaddy
    you can ask! its from www.myprotein.co.uk
    at the bottom of the page you search for www.bulkpowders.co.uk

then scroll down the list and select:
    5kg of Whey Protein Concentrate 80 (EURO) [tubbed] its £31.95

use my referrer code for 5% off:
    MP38084

It doesnt inlcude P+P but it isnt too expensive.
  • muz250
    muz250 Posts: 95
    Just go all the way!! Epo! All the pros are doing it :D .

These protein shakes, and multi vitamins, do the have noticable effects or just to newbies / or seasond cyclists?.
  • spasypaddy
    protein shakes just helps your muscles rebuild, muscle is made up of protein and water so by taking protein shakes and drinking alot of water helps your muscles rebuild quicker and faster allowing you to train more often.

Protein is also available in eggs, tuna, meat and many other natural food sources.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    you can ask! its from www.myprotein.co.uk
    at the bottom of the page you search for www.bulkpowders.co.uk

then scroll down the list and select:
    5kg of Whey Protein Concentrate 80 (EURO) [tubbed] its £31.95

use my referrer code for 5% off:
    MP38084

It doesnt inlcude P+P but it isnt too expensive.

Ah cheers. I've been using that site but only buying 1kg a time, for about £15. Double that for 5kg seems pretty good :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I use them also and get their own brand for energy drink, strawberry flavoured.
    i also get their recovery drink and flavour that strawberry also, it is lush :D
    These tase much better than Sis and Hi5 and a lot cheaper.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    Milk has been suggested as an effective post training recovery drink - protein and liquid in one easy go.
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    I just take a multi Vit with Iron and a cod liver oil each day, nothing else.

It depends on how far you ride each day.
    It's all good.
  • Carbohydrates are the most effective recovery food for endurance athletes like road cyclists. Protein has little if any effect on recovery in trained athletes. And we get plenty of protein in a normal diet anyway.

There are only a handful of legal supplements that have substantial evidence to be considered ergogenic. Some should only be used in special circumstances but for the most part, aside from good nutrition, the ones that are most commonly used and have an ergogenic effect are:

- carbo/electrolytic drinks, gels and bars
    - caffeine

Be careful if you are a racer and take supplements such as protein powders, vitamins and other supplements. While not necessarily illegal in themselves, they often contain trace elements of banned substances due to shared production lines in the pharmaceutical manufacturing plants.
  • oldwelshman
    Carbohydrates are the most effective recovery food for endurance athletes like road cyclists. Protein has little if any effect on recovery in trained athletes. And we get plenty of protein in a normal diet anyway.

There are only a handful of legal supplements that have substantial evidence to be considered ergogenic. Some should only be used in special circumstances but for the most part, aside from good nutrition, the ones that are most commonly used and have an ergogenic effect are:

- carbo/electrolytic drinks, gels and bars
    - caffeine

Be careful if you are a racer and take supplements such as protein powders, vitamins and other supplements. While not necessarily illegal in themselves, they often contain trace elements of banned substances due to shared production lines in the pharmaceutical manufacturing plants.

Why does protein have little effect on trained athletes.
    Every thing I have read states protein aide with recovery including muscle repair and building?
    Carbohydrates are mostly for pre race and during race not recovery so much?
  • i was always lead to believe that carbohydrates are important in the first 'golden' hour after training to replenish glycogen supplies and that after protein is very important.

i tried protein powder once but didnt find it cost effective although it did have a noticable effect on back to back hard days. for the moment i use milk though which is supposed to be a verygood mix bewteen carbs and protein
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You also want to ask where the "protein" in protein shakes etc is extracted from. A lot of it is from chicken sh*t which is very rich in protein.

I'd stick to milk / a balanced healthy diet.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • oldwelshman
    Well my recovery drink is protein based and I drink it in a pint of milk.
    I dont care if it is chicken shiit as long as it is flavoured and does not taste like it :D
  • I just read today that a study in the states tested trained athletes in peak condition. One group had Carbs for recovery the other group protein and creatine. I believe there was a 30% inrovement in the protein group.

I'l try and find the article.
  • spasypaddy
    as a recovery drink you dont want it with milk as it becomes slow release, you need to take it with water for quick release. I take one the night before with milk and one after with water.
  • Once again everyone has an opinion on this and what seems right or works for one person is possibly the opposite for the next.
    I guess i should experiment, becuase when i last rode seriously was 26 years ago, and you just had a cup of tea after a ride.
    Since i am only at 2 hours duration for 30 miles at the moment, and looking to increase this soon then i was looking for some help. The weight is coming down also from 126kgs to 124kgs in 3 weeks. I am looking to increase duration which will decrease my weight, slowly, and then increase speed, so if the UCI want to come and test me, i might be in Mexico next week, but then again i could be in the Midlands!!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Im just new to the forum so Hello,

Im a recent MTB convert,(still ride my mtb),and through the years Ive seen and read a lot of research on different supplements.In my mind, im not one for taking a lot of refined powders etc in to my body,(except maybe an electrolyte drink) a balanced diet will see you good.I take a multi vitamin and some cod liver Oil (for the Knees).The reason I take the Multi vitamin is that due to the rigors of exercise your bodys immune system takes a hammering,and at this time of year you need all the help you can get.I find a pint of milk and a peanut butter and Jam sandwhich is a great recovery food,just try and get the wholemeal peanut butter as it has a lot less sugar in it.And also lot of fruit and Veg helps the body get ride of toxins.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    fossyant wrote:
    Nothing a good diet won't provide.

Gets my vote.

Dennis Noward
  • oldwelshman
    spasypaddy wrote:
    as a recovery drink you dont want it with milk as it becomes slow release, you need to take it with water for quick release. I take one the night before with milk and one after with water.
    After a hard ride I do not want a quick release, if I did I would eat a jam sandwich or something.
    The trouble is after a hard ride is you can over load with sugar or carbs.
    I prefer a slow release to stop me binging.