new gear

vodkarob
vodkarob Posts: 29
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi there.Was wanting some opinions if possible.getting back into biking after many years.Im thinking of getting a commencal meta 5.5.3.2008.What do you think about that bike? And also,would a full face helmet be abit overkill? I think it would just meen more protection.Cheers

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The Meta's are reported by their owners to be very good bikes.

But you need the right tool for the right job, ie is a Meta the right type of bike for what you want to ride?

Full face or helmets are really only used in for 4X, FR & DH.

If you intend to ride regular trails & XC then you don't need a Full Facer, in fact you'd sweat your head off in one, again, it's a case of right tool for the job.

If you want a helmet with a bit more protection have a look at the Met Koas, Giro Zen or Hex, or maybe even a Met parachute which has a removable chin guard.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I can recommend the Giro Zen - an excellent helmet. It's crossed with a pis*-pot skate style lid so gives the side of your head a little more protection. Pricey but can you put a price on protecting your cannister? :wink:

Plus it's less 'roadie' looking - [no offense meant roadies] :D
  • thanx so far.i would prob be riding abit of everything.but not really bad ass downhill.so all mountain i think.as for the helmet thing.i don't really want a bust up face.but nobody does.its really don't my head in.can never make my mind up.and it doesn't help with all the chose.
  • Cheesey wrote:
    I can recommend the Giro Zen - an excellent helmet. It's crossed with a pis*-pot skate style lid so gives the side of your head a little more protection. Pricey but can you put a price on protecting your cannister? :wink:

I know You mean a 'Xen' Cheesey :wink: , just thought I'd point it out as a search by vodkarob may bring up zero results on a Zen.

I have a Xen and can also say it is a really cool looking helmet, pricey but one of the very best, especially 2008 colours.

P.S Vodkarob chicks dig scars :D live a little
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • Cheesey wrote:
    I can recommend the Giro Zen - an excellent helmet. It's crossed with a pis*-pot skate style lid so gives the side of your head a little more protection. Pricey but can you put a price on protecting your cannister? :wink:

I know You mean a 'Xen' Cheesey :wink: , just thought I'd point it out as a search by vodkarob may bring up zero results on a Zen.

I have a Xen and can also say it is a really cool looking helmet, pricey but one of the very best, especially 2008 colours.

P.S Vodkarob chicks dig scars :D live a little

Doh :wink:
  • cheers people.still not a clue on what bike to get.just soo many to chose from.