Best route into Leeds from South

SilverSurfer
SilverSurfer Posts: 1,931
edited November 2007 in Commuting chat
I want to drive to somewhere about 5 miles out on the South side of Leeds and ride to the Headrow.

I would prefer to be able to not get sweaty as I have no wash facilities, but could manage a change of clothes.

I will be riding fixed (only practical bike I have) so it will need to fairly flat to achieve the non sweat requirement. Therefore starting point looks likely to be around Rothwell area (near to M1). Free parking would be a bonus.

I'd rather not get killed so I would like less busy roads - this will become more challenging as I get nearer to the Headrow obviously.

I have the Leeds cycling map but it all looks to get confusing after Cross Green area.

Does Pontefract Road from J44 of M1 sound feasible? Will I need stadium lighting or is it well lit around there?

Many thanks!

Comments

• beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Cycle five miles in Leeds and you'll encounter a hill - guaranteed. You'll also bc comfortably on the south side of the M62.

Cross Green/ Richmond Hill / East End Park is viable (not much of a hill!) but it's not where I'd like to leave my car.

Rothwell and Morley (4 miles each) have free and relatively secure car-parking but Rothwell's up a fairly steep hill. That said, I have seen someone going up Pontefract Road on a fixie - it's steep (ish) but not that long.

Morley is at the top of Churwell Hill - which is the closest thing to a 'Col' in the city (3 miles long and 1/12 almost all the way!).

South Leeds Sport's centre's (2 mile) a thought as is South Leeds Stadium at Parkside (3) - but again, you can't guarantee you'll have any wheels when you return! Thwaite Mills, off Pontefract Road, (2) is a thought - quiet back streets to Leeds Bridge and flat almost all of the way. Finally, somewhere around the Middleton Railway / Tulip Street retail park (2.5) is possible.

Bob
  • My first reaction to this request was to suggest you start south of the city and then ride southwards!

I have had the same dilemma heading in for central Leeds from the north (A58). The biggest jams are to cross the ring road, but the biggest hills are between there and the centre. Any further in and not only do you save much less time, but you can't have any confidence that all of your car will still be there when you get back, perhaps the odd day is OK, but not if you leave it every day. As a result I usually drive all the way, but on nice days (i.e. twice a year!) I cycle all the way (30 miles each way), it only takes about 30 minutes longer than the car and you do the best bits (the country lanes) by bike.

Don't worry too much about busy roads - cycle at peak times, go for the most congested routes and you'll be the fastest thing on the road by a long way!

If you could park in the area near Middleton Park, there seems to be quite a bit of off-road (the green routes), which then link up with the yellow 'advisory' routes right into the city centre. I don't know the area though - it might be horrible - have a drive round it first.
    This is the south section of the map. The key is on the north section.
    http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2 ... a2e9c3.pdf
  • For when the evenings are light again: why not park at Woodlesford/Outlon and cycle in along the Towpath of the River Aire which I think is part of the Transpennine Cycle Route.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Re the Woodlesford/Oulton route:

Remembering that you'll have to carry your bike up 30 steep steps (towards Leeds) and down (away from).

Also, many of the off-road (green) routes around Middleton are either impassable or are strewn with glass and other junk.

That's if you don't get mugged for your bike.

Bob