So, how do I store up sleep?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
We've got 2'nd nipper on the way (due in May, daddy gets paternity leave during the Giro) and I've just remembered the horror of no sleep.

If I start going to bed early now will it help?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    iainf72 wrote:
    We've got 2'nd nipper on the way (due in May, daddy gets paternity leave during the Giro) and I've just remembered the horror of no sleep.

Come on, 'fess up, that was planned wasn't it? Does Mrs iainf72 know? :wink:
  • iainf72
    No, and she never will, right :P

I keep coming up with Italian names too....
  • One would assume that due to you being able to buildup sleep debt, you would be able to build up a sleep surplus/capital? INteresting idea actally...
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    duckiciao wrote:
    One would assume that due to you being able to buildup sleep debt, you would be able to build up a sleep surplus/capital? INteresting idea actally...
    nice idea, but surely you just end up laying in bed and just can't get to sleep!!
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Sleep 12 hours a night between now and May, and store the excess 4 hours in an airtight jar. When the jar is full, put it somewhere dark and dry, like a garden shed or garage. Use as many jars as you need. Then, come the new arrival, simply take those excess hours from the jars which you've stored. Easy.

I don't know what all the fuss about parenthood is.

Really, I don't.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • They give you 2x tins of Red Bull in the bounty pack now, so the first couple of days are sorted. Mine still sleeps in with us 50% of the time after 14 months - THAT is sleep deprivation.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    As Vermooten says, I don't know what all the fuss is about. What you need to do is to have a baby like my youngest who slept 11-7pm on her fifth day and just got better from then on. Last night she was in bed at 6.30 and she won't be awake until 8.30am.
    (pity the other buggers have me up at 5.30am!)

BTW, Congratulations! Hope everything goes well.
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Apparently you can never recover sleep that you have lost so I doubt it works the other way round.

Good luck :wink:

Chris :)

Edit: Oh, and congratulations :D:D
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • popette wrote:
    As Vermooten says, I don't know what all the fuss is about. What you need to do is to have a baby like my youngest who slept 11-7pm on her fifth day and just got better from then on. Last night she was in bed at 6.30 and she won't be awake until 8.30am.
    (pity the other buggers have me up at 5.30am!)

BTW, Congratulations! Hope everything goes well.

Poppette, really starting to dislike you..... :x

All three of mine have woken up at some point in the night till they were about 3.....

My current 3 year old still gives us a shout at about 4am most nights... :?

Don't what we have kept doing wrong. Still I get my own back at weekends by letting them stay up a bit later then dragging them out of bed early for a kick about at the football park.......
  • iainf72
    popette wrote:

Our first one would hardly ever sleep. Until he was nearly 2 it was a nightmare - AAMOF, when he was 18 months I took up the work offer of a 2 day day trip to New York in the hope I'd get some extra kip :P

I sleep lightly so always wake if they so much as mumble.

I'm hopeful this one will be better.
  • popette
    oh don't worry, it's not all great in our house. My little lad took about 9 months to sleep through because I just couldn't keep up with his need for food. We've got four so you can bet that most nights someone will give a yelp because covers have come off. I'm just very fortunate that my little 'un has been amazingly good. Being number 4, she just has to be good though or I would jump in the canal.
  • iainf72 wrote:

No chance, You need to practice the pretending to be asleep routine whilst being wide awake. It is your only hope.

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • popette
    iainf72 wrote:

No chance, You need to practice the pretending to be asleep routine whilst being wide awake. It is your only hope.

:evil:
    I always thought my husband was just a really sound sleeper - was he awake and pretending the whole time?
  • They give you 2x tins of Red Bull in the bounty pack now, so the first couple of days are sorted. Mine still sleeps in with us 50% of the time after 14 months - THAT is sleep deprivation.

Bounty - They offered me a job once but I had worked with the manager years ago at a computer game company. They didn't say what they did so I went elsewhere.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    popette wrote:
    Being number 4, she just has to be good though or I would jump in the canal.
    I'm the 4th of 4 and I've always been good. :wink:

Seriously, though, I can never find out much from my parents about what I was like as a baby/toddler because they can't remember. I think it was all just a bit of a blur by the time I came along. :cry:

Ruth
  • popette
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    popette wrote:
    Being number 4, she just has to be good though or I would jump in the canal.
    I'm the 4th of 4 and I've always been good. :wink:

Seriously, though, I can never find out much from my parents about what I was like as a baby/toddler because they can't remember. I think it was all just a bit of a blur by the time I came along. :cry:

Ruth

Hi Ruth,
    Probably right. I worry that my attention is spread so thinly between them all. They've done me in today - so tired, I'm off to bed right now at 9.15!! And I've still not set up my imagic in the bedroom. Argghh :cry:
    Popette x
  • I got away with sleeping in the spare room for the first six months so got plenty of sleep while my wife looked like the walking dead. She was on maternity leave though and I had to be really alert for work at the time.

Then we all slept in the same bed for about three months which was terrible, I was getting about three hours sleep most nights, as was my wife and the baby too.

For the past couple of weeks she has just started to sleep right through the night from 7:30 'til 6:30 the next morning and it is just bliss! :D:D
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Terry Aki wrote:
    For the past couple of weeks she has just started to sleep right through the night from 7:30 'til 6:30 the next morning and it is just bliss! :D:D

Wait until she's old enough to toddle. She'll come through in the middle of the night, climb into your bed, wriggle a lot, pee all over you and then go back to her (dry) cot.

Been there, done that: ten years on, I am their unpaid taxi driver.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)