Meatloaf: what is it he won't do?

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
you know the song, "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that"
What is it he won't do? can you enlighten me?
x

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    emigrate to New Zealand (sadly) - the fat b8stard wouldn't get in anyway.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12550475

:D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• popette
    pneumatic wrote:
    emigrate to New Zealand (sadly) - the fat b8stard wouldn't get in anyway.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12550475

:D

my kids think I'm nuts laughing at my computer. :lol::lol:
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    He won't diet...
  • from wikipedia:

Perceived ambiguity of "that"

Each verse comprises two things that he would do for love, followed by one thing that he would not do. It is that latter part of each verse that is the "that" of the title. However, some people misunderstand the lyrics, claiming that the singer never identifies what the "that" is which he is unwilling to do.[8] Steinman predicted this confusion during production.[9] An early episode of the VH1 program Pop-up Video made this claim at the end of the song's video: "Exactly what Meat Loaf won't do for love remains a mystery to this day."[10] A reviewer writing for All Music Guide also misunderstood the lyric, commenting that "The lyrics build suspense by portraying a romance-consumed lover who pledges to do anything in the name of love except "that," a mysterious thing that he will not specify."[6] While the reviewer concludes that the mystery is revealed during the closing stages of the song, it is not observed that "that" is revealed in every chorus throughout.

Although some people assume that "that" is an exophoric reference to a sex act,[11] it is actually an anaphoric reference to the varying activities and feelings that are specified as antecedents in the lyric that the singer says that he won't do.
    Jimmy always said, "You know what? Nobody's gonna get it." And he was right.
    Meat Loaf[9]

* "I'll never forget the way you feel right now ..."
    * "I'll never forgive myself if we don't go all the way tonight ..."
    * "I'll never do it better than I do it with you ..."
    * "I'll never stop dreaming of you every night of my life ..."

In addition, the female vocalist identifies two other things that the lead singer denies that he will do: "You'll see that it's time to move on" and "You'll be screwing around." To both of these, the lead singer emphatically responds, "I won't do that! No, I won't do that!"

Meat Loaf says that the question "what is 'that'?" is one of the most popular questions he is asked.[11] In his 1998 VH1 Storytellers special, he even explained it on stage using a blackboard and a pointing stick. In a 1993 promotional interview, Steinman states that the definition of "that" is fully revealed in the song in each of the several verses in which it is mentioned.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    After reading about his so called concert at Newcastle recently I think the answer toyour question is "PERFORM ON STAGE"
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...make a cup of tea...change a nappy...breast feed...nip down the shops on an urgent tampon run...cut the grass...help out around the house...put a load of washing on...unpack the dishwasher...have an early night...all that kinda stuff maybe... :?
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    As an ardent ML fan , all you lot making derogatory comments, your days are numbered . I know where you all live. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :!: :?:
    bagpuss
  • popette
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...make a cup of tea...change a nappy...breast feed...nip down the shops on an urgent tampon run...cut the grass...help out around the house...put a load of washing on...unpack the dishwasher...have an early night...all that kinda stuff maybe... :?

ah, so it's not just my husband that gets sent out on these then. :lol:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    bagpusscp wrote:
    As an ardent ML fan , all you lot making derogatory comments, your days are numbered . I know where you all live. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :!: :?:

I'm running away, like a FAT out of hell.

(Actually, it's not the shape of the man that offends me; I'm pretty lumpen myself; it's that terrible screaming noise he makes) :x

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    bagpusscp wrote:
    As an ardent ML fan

*sharp intake of breath* I wouldn't admit that mate if I were you! :roll:
    I have pain!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Thanks a lot guys :evil:...!

I worked a factory night shift for a year in the early 1980s and my workmates wouldn't let me play my punk tapes. Instead I had to endure the Bat out of Hell album played in its entirety 4 or 5 times every damn night. It's taken me over 25 years to forget it and now it is reverberating around inside my head again - aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I was informed a looong time ago that he won't say he doesn't love her. There was a reason, but I forget...
  • I wish I knew the answer, but sadly I don`t. Great song though. :wink:
    And on the 7th day...............
    God created...........
    THE BIKE
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    In the master copy of the recording, you can hear the sound of him spitting between "won't" and "do that"
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • ColinJ wrote:
    Thanks a lot guys :evil:...!

I worked a factory night shift for a year in the early 1980s and my workmates wouldn't let me play my punk tapes. Instead I had to endure the Bat out of Hell album played in its entirety 4 or 5 times every damn night. It's taken me over 25 years to forget it and now it is reverberating around inside my head again - aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!

I worked for a company that made cassette based teachng equipment. Santanas Abraxas seemed to be used by everybody for testing purposes and I heard it at least three times every day for a year and I still love it . Had it been " the Meat" I would probably have slit my wrists within a fortnight.
  • popette
    edited November 2007
    I just worked out what my husband will never do for love: support England even though his wife and kids are english.
  • munging, he wont do munging (neither would i) :evil: :evil:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • We have forum tourettes syndrome!
  • ....wax his legs, exfoliate, record with Radiohead.... :P :?:
    "With just a little luck
    A little cold blue steel
    I'll cut the night like a razor blade
    Till I feel the way I wanna feel"