My increasing illiteracy

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
At school I used to pride myself at being able to spell any word I needed within reason). It now seems that I really struggle to spell some words that I am sure I used to be able to!

I just had to double check that I had spelt unnecessarily correctly, my first attempt was a bit wrong.

I think it's due to overuse of a spell checker when I write e-mails and word docs. It's not down to the use of text speak as I hate it!!

Anyone else think they're spelling is getting worse as they get older?

Comments

• Nevverr hadd a probelm.

Thinc your probbablly geting old and senyl.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Why is it that typos seem glaringly obvious after the message has been posted? :)

I always end up having to go back and edit them, unless they are one word replies. Sometimes even them.
  • If you use Mozilla Firefox you can get a spell checker add on, which underlines those mistakes before you post.

And sorry for the silly post above, I can hear your groans from here! :lol:

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    No, you're not alone Hammerite. Mine's getting worse as well. I put it down to americanisms and the internet. The spelling and grammar on-line is so poor, and I read so much on the web, that it's becoming the norm (in my head anyway).

I'm also a crap typist!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Can you link to that addon please? I can't seem to find it!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    hammerite wrote:

I just had to double check that I had spelt unnecessarily correctly, ...

surely that was an unnecessary waste of time and effort
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Can you link to that addon please? I can't seem to find it!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

I think you need English (British), which you can find halfway down the page. The big green English button at the top isn't really English I suspect.

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    With me it's spelling and handwritting.

Once a year I do a 3 hour OU exam and thats the only time I ever write more than a few words on paper without a keyboard and spellchecker. Nightmare :cry: l . This year I had to spend the last quarter of an hour editing the worse bits. An illiterate spider would have done better.