Dry Feet - overshoes?

novembercp
novembercp Posts: 58
edited November 2007 in Tour & expedition
What are people's recommendations in this area? I want to use them over non-cycling shoes, and to be able to walk in them as well (thus not have to carry more than one pair of shoes on overnight trips).

Comments

• Being a recent convert to clipless pedals, I have started to use overshoes for the winter weather to add an extra season to my lightweight (mtb) cycling shoes.

I have a pair of endura ones, which are great over cyling shoes and fine for walking in, the underfoot sections being protected by the sole of the cycling shoe.

I don't believe they would be great for normal shoes, and really no overshoes are designed for walking in and so would soon wear. Also do you use toe clips, I'm sure they would wear really quickly if so.

For dry feet with normal non cycling shoes, I'd recommend wearing Sealskinz waterproof socks. I find them excellent, certainly waterproof, the mid thermal merino lined ones are more toasty.

As this is a touring thread, I would add that I'll not bother taking overshoes on a tour, as generally you touring in warmer climes and the odd day with wet feet really isn't a problem.
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    I second the sealskinz recommendation, they are the best at keeping your feet dry for longest imho. They're pretty durable too.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    sealskinz might be the best at keeping your feet dry but doesn't it mean sqwelching arround in soggy shoes all evening?
    Rich
  • novembercp wrote:
    What are people's recommendations in this area? I want to use them over non-cycling shoes, and to be able to walk in them as well (thus not have to carry more than one pair of shoes on overnight trips).

They don't fit as well over normal shoes and you will need the vice like grip of a trye fitter to get them on.

I tried first before switching to some scott spd mtb trainers with a recess for the cleats so you can still walk in them like normal shoes. The overshoes fit these much more easily

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • Percycp
    Percycp Posts: 230
    My overshoes are very frayed and worn from the small amount of walking I do in my cycling shoes.

They have been, however, indespensible over the last month or so - for the rain, obviously, but also great insulators in weather like this - clear blue skies and rarely over one degree celcius. I suspect they would fit on non-cycling shoes, but perhaps not amazingly. Mine are cheapy Altura ones.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I've got a pair of these from Altura. They are basically open and wrap around your feet, fastening with velcro. I've not tried them with normal shoes but I think they'd work. They aren't completely waterproof but will keep the worst of it out.
  • KeithG wrote:
    I second the sealskinz recommendation, they are the best at keeping your feet dry for longest imho. They're pretty durable too.

I did see these in my local outdoor shop- might be an option alright, not just for cycling. Much neater and I'm mainly touring here in ireland, where it does get cold and wet!

brings me to another point about shops- will post in Cake Stop!
  • seal skins are ok, apart from the fact you feet still feel wet even though they arnt. I thing this must be due to the dampness on the outside of the sock leading to a reduction in temperature and therefore a stange feeling the your foot is wet.

Also, they are not terribly warm on their own, so you have to wear a thermal sock underneath..this can lead to having to cram a big foot into a small cycling shoe which does not do much for you circulation, resulting in cold feet.

In winter now, whilst commuting ive resorted to an all leather pair of retro Adidas football trainers, with normal winter socks my feet stay perfectly warm and dry. Im not too bothered about clipless pedals, i use them in summer but can take them or leave them, However a pair of Sidi MTB shoes caught my eye the other day, full leather, no wicking mesh, no gore-tex and if i wanted to ride clipless all year round they would probably do the trick.

Keep it simple!
  • Oh i just saw you use non-cycling shoes, as i mentioned i do in the post above.

If you need new shoes ever i really recommend these Adidas Chile '62. Full leather, warm comfortable...But for cycling the best bit is the sole, which i guess was originally developed for playing football on hard surfaces, but the litle studs really dig into flat pedals well, no slipping even in foul weather.

http://www.wegotsoccer.com/images/AD465195.jpg

Not cheap but i lived in my last pair for 2.5 years whilst travelling round the world, must have cycled over 4000miles in that time with them too...so not bad for £60