rockhopper comp disc vs giant xtc 2.5

nikrad
nikrad Posts: 28
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
hi need some help get a new mtb hardtail to replace my scott boulder .
shop where im getting it from sell both the above just wondering which is the best out of the two im leaning towards the rockhopper a the mo thanks for the help

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both are very good in their own weigh. Test them, then decide.
  • nikrad
    thanks 4 the help
  • I would tend to go for the XTC but as said both are very good, if you wanna go mail order drop me a PM. Though get it from your lbs if you can.
  • nikrad
    to be fair if i buy either it will be through my local dealer if i go mail order then i am tempted with a cube race ltd or reaction thanks again
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Both are good bikes and the Giant in particular used to get rave reviews. The Giants also tend to be killer value.

That said, in 2007 Giant changed the design of the XTC frame slightly and it has seemingly become less forgiving in it's ride. As the others have said, test-ride before you buy if you can, get your haggling hat on and pay in cash if possible.

Just to complicate things a bit, Giant actually build a lot of bikes for Specialized... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nikrad
    cheers for the help local dealer also does marins quite tempted with the elridge grade are these good bikes they look well speced
  • dave_hill wrote:

Just to complicate things a bit, Giant actually build a lot of bikes for Specialized... :shock:

Explain?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Giant is the biggest bike manufacturer in the world, with large facilities. It allows them to churn huge numbers of frames out, so some companies use them to make their frames.
  • dave_hill
    Correct. Check out your Specialized frame - if it has a sticker or mark on it saying "Made in Taiwan" odds on it was made in the Giant factory. It may even have been assembled there!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nikrad
    is this the same for marins local dealer does em and i like the look of em
  • dave_hill
    Again, Marins are a good bike. Been around a long time and you very rarely hear people grumble about them.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nikrad
    Decided now its goin be the rockhopper pro v.nice bike cant wait to get it
  • nikrad wrote:
    Decided now its goin be the rockhopper pro v.nice bike cant wait to get it

2007 or 2008?
  • nikrad
  • Pants
    Pants Posts: 22
    Just out of curiosity, what is the weight of the 2008 Rockhopper Comp?

I can't seem to find the stats anywhere. I'm thinking of upgrading from my 2007 Hardrock HYD Disk which seems a bit weighty. If anyone knows what my bike weighs too then that would be helpful for comparisons sake. Hopefully the Rockhopper is a fair bit lighter!

Why don't manifacturers list the weight of their bikes! :shock: :roll:

Cheers.

Pants.
  • nikrad
    Some do Scott being one of them . I think the reason for not listing the weight is that sometimes that could be the one and only deciding factor between certain bikes / manufactures . If its any help the bike seemed quite light when I picked it up I'm guessing its around 11.5 to 12.0 kg and you would feel a difference between the Rockhopper and the Hardrock . Hope this helps .
  • Just out of curiousty, why did you choose the rockhopper pro over the xtc 2.5, as I am in this situation at the moment.

Thanks buddy, Jack.
  • if i remember rightly the hardrock weighs in at 36lbs!! thats heavier that full on downhill bikes! the rockhopper hower is alot lighter (cant remember what weight though, lifted them both up side by side)

Hope this helps
    Enjoy the simple things in life
  • nikrad
    There aint much in it really the difference is that the rockhopper has a better fork, spd pedals and a nice anno finnish the giant does have a better crank but weight wise im not sure which is lighter . To be fair the giant is there top range aluminum hardtail so it could be slightly lighter not sure about that though .