What makes a good coach?

Mike Willcox1
Mike Willcox1 Posts: 311
Over the last couple of weeks I've been toying with the idea of becoming a coach, and have now decided to take up a course, study and get qualified. OK this will cause some hilarity amongst some of you guys who see me as someone who rejects all modern scientific aids to assist riders get fit.

However I believe that I have something substantial to offer riders who are looking to combine modern methods with a no nonsense practical approach to their training and I'm looking forward to learning all about how to go about it.

There's going to be new kid (or old man) on the block.

Comments

• Just doing a course won't make you a good coach. Also, you'll learn very little about the latest science - coaching qualifications are very low level and are probably as low a standard as a GCSE. Its a starting point however and I wish you luck.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Jeez Mike, you're not even qualified yet and you're already touting for business on the internet. Some people have no shame... :wink:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    Having tried internet/email coaching I would say that the first requirement is that the coach is physically present.
  • DaveyL wrote:
    Jeez Mike, you're not even qualified yet and you're already touting for business on the internet. Some people have no shame... :wink:

:D
  • Does this mean you'll get a franchise from PowerTap and try and flog one with every post?
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • Does this mean you'll get a franchise from PowerTap and try and flog one with every post?

I don't think so.
  • That was a joke. I am amazed this thread hasn't degenerated into a ruck yet though?
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • rjeffroy wrote:
    Having tried internet/email coaching I would say that the first requirement is that the coach is physically present.

Certainly you can get more from coaching on a one to one if it is face to face and preferably out riding where you can practice what you preach.
  • That was a joke. I am amazed this thread hasn't degenerated into a ruck yet though?

To be honest I expected to get some stick from some quarters. I might still yet.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    That was a joke. I am amazed this thread hasn't degenerated into a ruck yet though?

To be honest I expected to get some stick from some quarters. I might still yet.
    Nah you're doing a good thing. Why would anyone take you to task on wanting to be a coach?...By the way Mike when are you going to join The mighty Addiscombe CC then? Big turn outs for club rides 70+ lots of different groups to ride with: 15's 17's 19's 20's training groups 22mph+av :D
  • Toks wrote:
    That was a joke. I am amazed this thread hasn't degenerated into a ruck yet though?

Nah you're doing a good thing. Why would anyone take you to task on wanting to be a coach?...By the way Mike when are you going to join The mighty Addiscombe CC then? Big turn outs for club rides 70+ lots of different groups to ride with: 15's 17's 19's 20's training groups 22mph+av :D

When it comes to training I prefer smaller groups (of one).
    In a larger group you've got :-

1) The mountain goats who want to sprint up every hill (normally weigh less than 70kgs)

2) Wheel suckers who never do a turn at the front (very often the same riders who are the mountain goats).

3) Novices or the unfit who can get dropped even on the flat.

4) Racers who want to show off their latest carbon thingy, by continually going off the front.

5) Cafe stops rather than eating on the bike and making the ride continuous.

6) No choice as to the duration or the route or time of start or the pace of the ride, which might not suit your current state of mind or fitness or schedule for the rest of the day.

Plus more chance of getting held up by mechanical failures, punctures etc.

No a company of one fits all that I'm looking for.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    so you're a social animal then !.... :wink::D

I have tosay you have described club-runs to a T :lol:
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I do lots of coaching at work (management not sports), and I've had 2 cycling coaches (one past, one present) and here are my five cents' worth.

There are only two rules to being a good coach:

1. Be a great communicator. Not just a good communicator but a great communicator.
    2. Always adhere to rule 1.

It's not enough to know some good training techniques - you have to be able to connect with your trainee. How you connect with trainee A might well be different to the way you connect with trainee B.

Seriously, a superb knowledge of good technique and methods is of little value if you can't communicate properly.

Be a listener. Communication isn't one-way i.e. from coach to trainee. Incredible how many people in the world don't get that. Coaching is as much about you, the coach, as it is about the trainee. It's not teaching in a lecture theatre.

Think about concepts such as empathy, motivation, insecurity. Though it makes me cringe sometimes, the idea of "I'm ok, you're ok" is how you need to think. If you don't know what Emotional Intelligence is, look it up on Wikipedia. Take it seriously. Enjoy.

HTH,
    Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Toks wrote:

When it comes to training I prefer smaller groups (of one).
    In a larger group you've got :-

1) The mountain goats who want to sprint up every hill (normally weigh less than 70kgs)

2) Wheel suckers who never do a turn at the front (very often the same riders who are the mountain goats).

3) Novices or the unfit who can get dropped even on the flat.

4) Racers who want to show off their latest carbon thingy, by continually going off the front.

5) Cafe stops rather than eating on the bike and making the ride continuous.

6) No choice as to the duration or the route or time of start or the pace of the ride, which might not suit your current state of mind or fitness or schedule for the rest of the day.

Plus more chance of getting held up by mechanical failures, punctures etc.

No a company of one fits all that I'm looking for.

:lol::lol:

As said, you've described the club run very well. I like number 1. My mate is one of them, we picked a flat route today, he was so frustrated he started sprinting over speed bumps.

Mike you should re-post that as some sort of poll because everyone probably fits in one of the four categories. :)
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    I think being realistic and flexible is important - it's no good telling someone to do 20 hours a week if they've got a demanding job, family etc and can manage a maximum of 10 hours. I think getting feedback from the client is also important and changing things if they are not working.