surly long haul trucker sizing, lso, flat bars or drops

rothar_aird
rothar_aird Posts: 2
edited November 2007 in Tour & expedition
firstly, I've been one one long tour before, but not on a serious bike, but I've caught the bug and want to build something more capable for a 3 week ride from morocco upinto portugal and spain next spring.

First... I think I fall between sizes for the Surly, 54 and 56. the 54 has 26" wheels and the 56 700c.

Which would most advise I go for for a 3 week tour with mixed terrain.

Also, drops or flat? I hardly ever get off the hoods on my road bike, wilI i use the drops on a tour?

thanks for ay advice!

Rob :?

Comments

• I would go for the 54 with 26" wheels myself but not seeing you and the bikes that is purely based on prejudice and a preference for 26" wheels for loaded touring.

Have you looked at 'butterfly' bars. I changed to them recently and love them, my wife changed at the same time and threw them away at the end of the first tour she did with them. They work best I think for a taller rider than a short one and have a wide variety of positions at a higher posture than drops.
  • FOGcp
    FOGcp Posts: 145
    I think flats are the answer possibly with bar ends. I know purists keep going on about the variety of hand positions with drops but on a loaded tour how many will you realistically need?