Bells on bikes?

2»

Comments

• So you can bin the bell and attach an airhorn and not get in the crap when plod gets you for being "suspicious"?
  • to anyone removing their old or interesting bell, send it to me if you don't want it ...I love em and yes I know it's sad!
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • MRS
    MRS Posts: 16
    Hmmm. could we start a petition to have a Belle sold with every bike?

maybe on the back of every tandem sold?
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Just get a cat's collar bell and fix it round a brake cable.
  • BELLS????i find that horse riders appreciate the bell rather than a called warnig!!used have good "ping"bells that would fit on the upright part of the stem,,but the advent of "ahead set"stems has made it a bit awkward,,,,by the way,,where can you get a big,loud "ping"bell these days,,the ones that come fitted are really bad!! :?
    time is running out,use it wisely!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    It's for new bikes only - they have to be sold with a bell.

What's wrong with yelling? It works much better!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Next they'll be telling us to leave those wheel reflector things on!
    I have pain!
  • My bike didn't come supplied with a bell but I bought one after a series of encounters with enraged jaywalkers/ pedestrians on cycle paths who either got the fright of their life at my approach, or were offended at my shouting my approach. ("How rude. Bloody cyclists think they own these cycle paths".)

However, now that I DO have a bell it's fecking useless, as most pedestrians I encounter either have earphones plugged in or are rather elderly and can't hear my frantic bell ringing until I nearly run over their dog. (At which point they move to the side of the cycle path, gesticulate wildly while shrilly commanding that "Bubbles, move out of the nice man's way. Bubbles! Come On! Don't just stand there! Move!". All the while "Bubbles", who apparently has a perfect grasp of English, just stands following the frantic arm movements. I feel like doing a Jack Black and drop kicking the poor animal as far away from their mental owners as possible. There, he's out the way now.)

Phew!

Stephen