Back Pain after Biking

MelvinFromSingapore
edited December 2007 in MTB beginners
Hey...
Im kinda worried whether theres something wrong with me or am i not use to going dirt jumping.. Any idea why i always get lower back pains after i go dirt jumping with my mates? I keep thinking that its my body position coz my seat is very low...

Kona Shred 07

Comments

• Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I get this too. Go to the doctor and find out exactly what it is but stretching your back backwards to compensate for the amount of time you are bent forwards may help.

Try to do something about it before it gets really bad, I'm having to cut back the amount of saddle time I'm getting as the pain is that bad.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • I found that making my posture better while at uni or at work has helped. I think that its your back muscles being too weak or something. my back used to really hurt after riding my bmx or dmr rhythm but its gone now and I ride everyday.
    make your posture better when sitting and find some exercises to strengthen your back muscles
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    Its a common problem, and funnily my pal had it really bad only a couple of weeks after a visit to the fabled Dalby Red. To me its down to one of, or a combination of two things...

Firstly, other exercise is key to mix up the usage of the muscles in your body, and in your case you might need a bit more upper body strength, namely abdominal and lower and upper back. Rowing is particularly good for all round strength as it exercises every muscle group the body has and does work the back very effectively if done properly. A gym membership wouldn't be a bad idea but as I know it costs!

Secondly, and as already said - posture. Trial & error here mate to be honest, as its totally subjective to you.

Hope things turn out for the best in any case mate.

Easy,
    G
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    easyg wrote:
    Firstly, other exercise is key to mix up the usage of the muscles in your body, and in your case you might need a bit more upper body strength, namely abdominal and lower and upper back. Rowing is particularly good for all round strength as it exercises every muscle group the body has and does work the back very effectively if done properly. A gym membership wouldn't be a bad idea but as I know it costs!

Secondly, and as already said - posture. Trial & error here mate to be honest, as its totally subjective to you.

Hope things turn out for the best in any case mate.

Easy,
    G

Agreed - you need a balance of strength in the postural muscles - abdominal as well as back. One option - Pilates! Not tried it myself but meant to work wonders for core strength.
  • You want to get a yoga ball and use it as a desk chair, really good way to improve posture and core stability. You also might want to think about warming up a bit before you ride, I know that some, trials riders in particular, can get back pain from over-working cold muscles.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    A stability ball is a great way of improving core strength. Its important to balance muscle groups when exercising though, i.e work your abs and lower back equally else you can make the problem even worse. You can get noticable results with as little as 10 mins 3 or 4 days a week
  • stability ball? where can you get them from? is this the same as a yoga ball ball mentioned above?
  • pittpony
    Yeah - i think stability balls, gym balls, yoga balls etc are the same thing. you can get them from sports shops, but they're likely to be cheaper on eBay or online. You'll probably want a large one for abdominal and back exercises
  • I got mine from argos, it was a fiver, they are really easy to inflate with a bike pump. Use the top of a bic style biro cut to fit into the hole and it should fit into the ball hole fine.
  • Thanks for the advice.. I will try using the gym balls.. Got 1 for my weight training... But do u think Back Supports which can be wore around the lower back help??
  • pittpony
    I'm no physio so wouldn't like to say either way! I guess that to offer enough support it might well restrict your movement though...
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    I've had a lot of back problems and had to give up running (not all bad...I bought a bike instead!) because of it. As has been said previously bad posture can be a problem. If you spend a long time sitting for work or college or whatever it is you do then I would take look at the way you're sitting. I guess that riding with a low saddle and the impact of the jumps is not good for your back any way but the riding might just be bringing out a problem that has been caused elsewhere.

You might feel a bit silly at first but I would recommend a good pilates class. Pilates is good for your core strength (the muscles inside your body that keep you upright) and therefore posture. You will be surprised to find that there are quite a few men that go to these classes but just don't brag about it down the pub! There might even be some nice ladies there too!

If you do go to some classes make sure you're getting a good workout. You might need to step up to an intermediate level quite quickly. Some beginners classes are just designed for older people and are basically just lots of rolling around on the floor! If you don't feel a bit stiff the day after then your class was probably too easy.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I suffered with back pain after losing quite a lot of weight quite quickly (4stone over 4-5 months) and the reason for the back pain was actually severe muscle ache as the muscles in my back weren't actually strong enough to do their job of holding me upright. Something that the excess fat and flab had done previously, supporting the bones and joints in and around my back!

I went to see an osteopath who did the usual 'snap' and 'crack' routine to free all the spinal joints up and find out where the problems in my back were. He told me that core strength building is key to strengthening the back. Cycling is ideal for core stability and strength building. However, as with any weight-training or muscle building, after exercise the muscles will ache, moreso if they are underused anyway. If you are doing a new sport then you will use 'new' muscles and suffer that little bit more.

If the back pain is sharp and intense then it is probably not muscle related and more to do with trapped nerves, i.e. slipped disc etc. This sort of pain needs sorting immediately and shouldn't be left for any length of time without treatment.

General aches are just down to using muscles though.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    In addition do the "plank" exercise
    support yourself on your forarms and your toes whilst keeping your body in a straight line. this will hurt a bit so do it a bit at a time to start with and dont keep going when you start to shake! rest for a bit then try again.
    this will help your core muscles and start to strengthen your back muscles too.
    but take it easy! as a guide even quite fit people find a lot of effort is needed to do it for a minute (and they shouldnt do it!)
    you could also do a few lumbar raises which is sort of a sit up but in reverse. face down hands gently on temples and raise your head off the floor repeatedly. after a while you should be able to lift your shoulders off the floor too but again easy does it.
    If in any doubt. stop and see a doctor.
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • pittpony
    Agree on the plank. Once you get good a progression is to do it on your side, then your front, then the other side without resting in between. You know if you're doing it right as it won't be easy! Take it easy though, only do it for as long as you can keep the correct position otherwise its pointless and you'll hurt yourself. You can increase the length of exercise over time as you get stronger.

Check out some of these exercises for some more info
  • nikrad
    nikrad Posts: 28
    have to say i get backache on long rides but after a couple of hours it goes and makes my back feel better a lot of the pain is just due to exersising your back muscles after a time your muscles will get strong and the pain should go
  • if you are jumping it may be that you are not landing at the correct angle for example if you land on you back wheel and are thrown forward quickly as your front comes down you may be jolting you back. i currently have whiplash from landing badly. might also want to think about you posture.
  • Gee after taking a 2 week overseas trip to Europe i found that my back pain is finally gone.. Hmmm so i think the best way to recover is to take a long rest... :D