Campsites in or around L'Alpe-d'Huez

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited November 2007 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone recommend any campsites in or around L'Alpe-d'Huez? Or have a list of campsites?

What is availability usually like around the time of the TdF?

Comments

• hammerite
    Actually, found a pretty decent list (http://www.tourism-oisans.com/accomodations-oisans.html, but if anyone has any recommendations and advice it would be greatly appreciated. :D
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    There is a very nice campsite right at the bottom of the route
  • When the Tour was there last time people were camping everywhere. On the night before the stage I saw people camping in the middle of roundabouts, on tarmac (how?) and right up to cliff edges.
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • hammerite
    When the Tour was there last time people were camping everywhere. On the night before the stage I saw people camping in the middle of roundabouts, on tarmac (how?) and right up to cliff edges.

sounds like a great idea :lol:
    although having a 6 yo with us camping half way up a cliff probably isn't too practical!
  • Hi Hammerite
    I stayed at Cascade, just before the beginning of Alpe.

Its fine as campsites go - either tents or chalets.

Dunno bout Tour time - i imagine it will be hectic

hope that helps

Red
  • hammerite
    redmenace1 wrote:
    Hi Hammerite
    I stayed at Cascade, just before the beginning of Alpe.

Its fine as campsites go - either tents or chalets.

Dunno bout Tour time - i imagine it will be hectic

hope that helps

Red

great thanks, had seen that one, looks like it will do the trick.
  • Hammerite

I've camped twice at the town at the foot of the climb Bourg d'Oisans: 'La Piscine' is right at the foot of the climb and 'La Colporteur' is a 5min walk back into the town of Bourg from the start of the climb. There's a big supermarket a couple of mins walk away from either. Colporteur was probably nicer, but La Piscine (as the name suggests) had its own pool which was very much appreciated in the hot summer sun.

On the day of the Tour stage you won't be able to get your car anywhere near the climb. My advice is buy enough food/drink for the day and a cheap parasol & camp chairs from the supermarket (the day before), sling them over your shoulders and start walking up the climb in the early morning when it's cool (I started about 8am). It will already be fairly busy but you should find a nice gap to set up your chairs if you get there about that time. Once you get a spot, spread out a bit and guard it with your life as people will try and muscle in front of you. That's why the chairs come in handy because you can you them to block people off who look like they might jump into your patch! Plus, it's a bloody long day to be on your feet. And if the parasol seems overkill make sure you take suncream otherwise you'll COOK!
  • We camped at La Grave to see a Gallibier tour de France stage. Not full but fullish on the day. Drove up to the Lauteret at 8 am , ate picnic breakfast and then walked up (8km). Chilly at the top.
    Fluffsters advice would be mine. Book accomodation early and on the day walk up, starting early and with plenty of bribes (sweets, nintendo etc). be prepared for any weather inc. hailstorms and 40C grilling - check weather 'meteo' at tourist office - usuallyy reliable.

The actual village is sort of an empty ski station where you might find a room or two too, leaving you free to walk down or watch finish 'circus', but for the experience and stand on the mountainside. Remeber the camper vans arrive up to a week in advance!
  • hammerite
    Fluffster/Ut, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.