Bike bags on trains

Pete Beer
Pete Beer Posts: 604
edited November 2007 in Tour & expedition
I've been trying to work out how to get back from John O'Groats next year after hopefully riding up from Lands End. I don't fancy being held to a certain date. Someone suggested posting a bike bag to JOG cycling to the station, packing up the bike and hopping on the train. It sounds to easy, has anyone tried it? Could it work?

Comments

• mazza
    mazza Posts: 52
    you dont need to bag the bike on british rail you just have ro book a space on the train for your bike they may put it in a trailer and you will have to pick it up from inverness
  • That's the problem it would be difficult to book as I have no idea how long the ride will take and I like the thought of doing it at my pace.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Here is the Scotrail webpage on their cycle policies. Even where you need to reserve you only need to book a couple of hours in advance. So it would be easy enough to ring, say, the day before.

It is certainly feasible to get a bike bag that you can send in the post (that's what I've done with the Ground Effect Tardis). You could send to a hotel or you could or poste restante to a post office but they will only hold for two weeks.[/url]
  • Andy,
    Thanks for the link. Really useful.
    Pete