New Forks

BlackSpur
BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi all, i'm new to mountainbiking, and the forum. I have just bought a second-hand Claud Butler Rock from a mate, in very good condition. However, it has a Suntour XC-60 fork, annd even I know that it is not particularly good. Im looking to upgrade: I ride mainly roads and trails, also light XC, and have a budget of around £60. I know that for this money I can't get a serious fork, but it won't have heavy use, and I think anything will be a noticeable improvement over the current fork.
"Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    What brakes are you running?
    youll probably want something thats second hand at that price check ebay for either Marzocchi mx comps or rockshox tora
  • BlackSpur
    ATM just the standard Tektro Vs which came with it. I'm looking at upgrading to discs in the future, but i've read that to buy anything worth having, you're looking at at lest £100, and I'd rather upgrade the forks first.
    Thanks for your advice though. :D I'll have a look round on ebay.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Tora or RS Judy/Dart 3. I wouldnt buy second hand.
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    yer but ebay doesnt have all second hand though does it but i admit you could be being sold a proky if your not careful but you can get a bargain
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I've just bought a 2007 Tora U-Turn with Lockout & rebound adjust for £112 from whinstanleys bikes as an upgrade over my Dart 2 that the bike came with.

Gonna fit them tomorrow :D
  • BlackSpur
    Was looking around and found these at what seems to be a bargain price

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12609

It seems to be good value: what do you guys think?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Not much better than the forks you have. Manitou's aren't as good as they should be.

RockShox or Marzocchi (MX, not MZ) are the better brands in this price range.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Avoid the Six, truly terrible fork!
  • BlackSpur
    Ok, thanks. I think I might save up for a while so that I can get something which will perform better. I've really enjoyed the rides I've been on, so I don't want to ruin the experience by doing anything half-heartedly. I could just ride my Rock 'til it dies (it only cost £100), and then get a new bike altogether.

Anyway thanks for all your help guys, it's been really useful to get advice from people who know what they're talking about. :D