Xmas/birthday prezzies

beckenham
beckenham Posts: 242
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
Okay, its my birthday early in Dec shortly followed by Xmas. What should I ask wifey and Santa to got me? I was after the Karman 605 GPS thingy but that doesn't come out until Jan.

So ideas please...
Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...some really pukka cycling wear, stuff to really pose in... :D :!:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Yes, I've got those two anniversaries coming up soon, too. Clan Pneumatic asked for a list.

What I really want is a new set of gears for the touring bike (the existing ones are stretched and worn). However, by the time I had researched the difference between Deore and Deore XT, M770 and M771, made up my mind between 11-32 and 11-34 and wondered whether the extra 50 quid was necessary for a bottom bracket and cranks I probably don't need, my list looked a little daunting to someone who doesn't get excited in bike shops (even virtual ones).

I suppose the reverse would be if Mrs Pneumatic were to ask me to go an get her "a nice shade of lippy from the ground floor of Jenners" - Total panic and misery on my part.

So, I guess I'll just settle for a tie, some chocolates and a bottle of whisky and spend the housekeeping on bike parts, as usual!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• I am considering asking for the OS Landranger Memory Map software - I think it cost £130. I could spend many happy hours planning road routes on minor roads, MTB rides on bridleways and family walks.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    I am considering asking for the OS Landranger Memory Map software - I think it cost £130. I could spend many happy hours planning road routes on minor roads, MTB rides on bridleways and family walks.

Currently 20-30% off MM stuff at Amazon
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    beckenham wrote:
    Okay, its my birthday early in Dec shortly followed by Xmas. What should I ask wifey and Santa to got me? I was after the Karman 605 GPS thingy but that doesn't come out until Jan.

So ideas please...

Hi - hows the new job? Do you mean the Garmin 605? I was hoping for that as well and had heard it was out in December just in time for Christmas - have they put back the release date?

I just got a lovely windproof jacket - Gore Phantom. I love it and would have been dead chuffed if my husband had bought that for me.
  • popette wrote:
    beckenham wrote:

So ideas please...

Hi - hows the new job? Do you mean the Garmin 605? I was hoping for that as well and had heard it was out in December just in time for Christmas - have they put back the release date?

I just got a lovely windproof jacket - Gore Phantom. I love it and would have been dead chuffed if my husband had bought that for me.

Hi Popette, the new jobs fine, thanks for asking. But the hours are a bit silly and I haven't got got on the bike for a couple of weeks :cry:

Re: the GPS, yes it's the Garmin 605 that I was after but according to the website it's out Jan 2008. Does anyone know what else is on the market that does something similar?
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    I am considering asking for the OS Landranger Memory Map software - I think it cost £130. I could spend many happy hours planning road routes on minor roads, MTB rides on bridleways and family walks.

good idea tuggo! Mrs Pneumatic has one-click purchasing with Amazon and I'm forever answering the door to delivery folk. I would be able to play that game of pretending not to know what it is!

Before I add it to the list, is Memory Map acknowledged to be the best of these products? I see others advertised but haven't had time to do the market research.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm in the same situation, but holding out for the Garmin, I don't mind waiting til Jan gives me something to look forward to post xmas/new year!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    pneumatic wrote:
    Old Tuggo wrote:

good idea tuggo! Mrs Pneumatic has one-click purchasing with Amazon and I'm forever answering the door to delivery folk. I would be able to play that game of pretending not to know what it is!

Before I add it to the list, is Memory Map acknowledged to be the best of these products? I see others advertised but haven't had time to do the market research.

I've got memory map - don't if it's landranger version? I think it's just OS edition. It's fab - love it, love planning routes on it.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    pneumatic wrote:
    I prefer Tracklogs (Landranger 1:50k regions cost just £20), particularly with the garmin 205/305/605/705 range as it has compatibility for courses.

Both Memory Map & Tracklogs software can be downloaded for a free trial. I would recommend downloading them both and seeing which you get on with.

The addition of a software package has meant that I have certainly got a lot more from my Garmin 205 than I would have without. I like to plan a route from the comfort of my deskchair and then let my garmin guide me round it in a non-stop-paper-map-free manner...
    Rich
  • Gussio wrote:
    Old Tuggo wrote:

Currently 20-30% off MM stuff at Amazon

Thanks Gussio I have just checked and the one I am interested in is £81.98 which is a big saving on what is advertised on the OS website.