Beginner Advice

Dansc
Dansc Posts: 4
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Hi, I am new to the forum and was just after a bit of advice. I purchased a Giant SCR 3 in April, first road bike and since then have done about 1,200 miles. I was not overweight before taking up riding but have lost half a stone leaving me nice and lean.
I am now wanting to lose a bit of weight off the bike and was thinking of replacing the Alex DA22's that came with the bike for Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, Fulcrum racing 5's or Shimano 105's. Does anyone know how these wheels compare re weight against my present wheels. Also my target is to take part in some 10 mile TT's next year so which wheels will be best for this.
Thanks

Dan

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    edited November 2007
    Weightweenies has comprehensive weight listings of loads of bike bits:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listi ... roadwheels

As to TT performance, you'll want to look at aerodynamics rather than weight. I don't think any of these wheels are particularly aero, although the bladed spokes on the Kysriums are probably more aero than the other two (albeit a marginal difference).

Initially, you will improve your TT times by concentrating more on the engine than the wheels though :wink:
  • Dansc
    Dansc Posts: 4
    Thanks Bronzie. The first TT i want to do is in April, so I was thinking of doing some intervals on a turbo starting in Jan/Feb, although I teach indoor cycling classes, have done for a couple of years and my classes are a form of interval training although only last 45 mins with warm up cool down and stretch. My budget for wheels ias around the £200 mark so didn't think I could afford anything too aero can you suggest anything.

Cheers

Dan
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Oooops...........forgot to say "Welcome" and all that..........so "Welcome" :)

Your training plan sounds pretty good for riding 10's - 20-30 mins flat out effort which you can replicate in training, so no worries there. Just set a benchmark on your first attempt then keep trying to improve. Be warned that trying to beat your PB can become addictive.............before you know it, you'll find yourself at the side of a dual carriageway at 6am wearing a pointy hat and a skinsuit. :wink:

You're right in that most true aero wheels are expensive items. You could have a look on eBay for an aero front wheel only if someone has trashed a rear and is selling separately - it will look odd on the bike, but having an aero front wheel will be more beneficial than have a pair of standard wheels. However, I'd suggest you go for the wheel upgrade you originally suggested and maybe look at aero upgrades later.

From memory, I think it's been proven that wearing an aero helmet will actually reduce your drag more than aero wheels - not to mention fitting tri bars and getting your body (which is after all the least aero thing on the bike) in a good position yet still be able to generate power.