Mafac

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited November 2007 in Road general
I have a fixed Carlton which I use as a commuter. It has single pivot side pull calipers from the 60's or 70's fitted.

Iam thinking of changing them to Mafac Centre Pulls as I have a set not in use. Are these brakes superior to single pivot side pull calipers?

Would it be better to upgrade to dual pivot side pulls and forget the Mafac?

Comments

• Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    The Mafacs fitted to my Peugeot can best be described as adequate. I think the GB side pulls on my "Hill" (although it's turned out not to be) are actually slightly better. Brakes did seem to get better 70's on.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I have Weinmann centre pulls on Carlton, and don't have any issues with braking. Can be a bit squeaky in the wet though. You'll need front and rear brake hangers if you're swopping from side to centre pulls, if you don't have them already. You'll also need something to clamp the brake shoes onto the rim if you're adjusting the brakes on your own.

Are they Mafac Racer brakes ? Always thought they looked quite nice polished up on a vintage bike.
  • GaryGkn
    Not sure what they are I will check.
    I might stick with the single pivots but they seem to work better when they are far quite from the rim. Not ideal.
  • GaryGkn
    I have checked and they just say Mafac in italics in the top left corner nothing else they look possibly 80's or 90's?
  • Ste_S
    See here for some piccies of different Mafac models

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Mafac_main.htm

I think the Racer ones had 'Racer' in the top right corner
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    I have Mafac Racers on my fixie and they're OK, also used them for fully loaded touring. If they can be used with a decent modern pad they're fine IMO.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • GaryGkn
    Hi just checked I can't see my exact ones on that site. They don't look as retro as the ones featured. Does anyone here lives near Wolverhampton library?
  • Ste_S
    *Raises Hand*

Edit - See here for more Mafac discussion

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=324058&highlight=mafac
  • bowser
    bowser Posts: 163
    hi im after some mafac racer c/pulls for my gitane tdf rebuild let me know if you dont use them
    thanks
    bowser
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Bowser. After much rooting around. I have found a set of as new mafac racer brakes complete.
    bagpuss
  • plug1n
    plug1n Posts: 204
    If anyone wants some NOS Mafac half hoods for the Top 63s linked to above, let me know.

I tried to buy some Shimano Aero Hoods from "banana_brain" (should have known better?) on Ebay in the US, but he actually shipped the much more valuable half hoods.

Having exhausted the paypal disputes procedure, I am definitely not paying to send them back.