is aktive8.com a scam site?

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

I ordered a light from this shop in Edinburgh http://www.aktive8.com/, nothing's turned up. No reply to my emails, the phone line is permenently not available.... I tracked down the guy who seems to run the site / company from a shared office in Glasgow but he ain't returning my calls.

Dodgy or what? Anyone got any thoughts? Am I just trying hard enough to get my stuff?

Cheers,
Andy
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Can't you just go into the shop? or is that a very silly question!! :oops:
  • vermooten
    They're in Edinburgh and I'm in Manchesterso it'd be hard!

Manchester Wheelers
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Yup, thought it might be silly!!
  • I ordered a rucksack from them a few months ago. It had to be back ordered, but they continually kept me up to date (via email, and were quick to respond too). No problems cancelling the order either when they couldn't get it in stock.
  • vermooten
    further digging reveals that they went bust a couple of years ago but bought the firm back .. or summat

got a new number to try now...

Manchester Wheelers
  • I bought a multi tool from them a while ago and whilst it did arrive promptly, it did come in a rather unprofessional second hand jiffy bag with scrawly handwriting all over the front. I'm suprised it made it to my door at all, blithering idiots.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Maybe try 0131 557 2801 - that's the number The Bike Chain, which is the cycling shop Aktiv8 took over a few months ago.

TBC are certainly still in business as I bought a load of stuff in their sale a couple of weeks ago - in the shop, rather than online mind.
  • vermooten
    Thanks all! I think it's laziness / incompetance rather than evil that has led to my woes. (On their part!)

Manchester Wheelers
  • vermooten
    Philip S wrote:
    Maybe try 0131 557 2801 - that's the number The Bike Chain, which is the cycling shop Aktiv8 took over a few months ago.

TBC are certainly still in business as I bought a load of stuff in their sale a couple of weeks ago - in the shop, rather than online mind.
    I rang this number and the guy was clear that The Bike Chain have nothing to do with activ8.com - and was sympathetic to my inability to get in touch with them.

I'll keepo you posted. They took my money but haven't sent me my goods - it'll be one for Mr Plod at some point soon.

Manchester Wheelers
  • vermooten
    My order turned up!

But I'll still never shop with these people again, do likewise!

Cheers,
    Andy

Manchester Wheelers
  • emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    perhaps they were out cycling.
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    maybe it was caught in the post strike backlog...
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • It seems that lots of people are trying to contact them. thankfully I'm only down £45. Anyone else still having problems?
  • Hi Andy,

I’m a bit bemused by your comments regarding an order you placed with aktive8.com. I run/own aktive8 and can’t recall having spoken to you or having a missed call from you. We operate from our store/office in Edinburgh details of which are clearly listed on the web site and also have a phone number listed on the main template of the site which is manned Mon-Friday 9.30-5.00 pm.

Where did you get a Glasgow number for us from? I hope you don’t mind me asking this but it sounds like someone has given you the wrong info and I was hoping to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

We have been experiencing a bit of a delay on orders being delivered due to the postal strike which has also meant an increase in calls/emails from customers tracking deliveries etc. This has resulted in us not being as quick as we would like to answer emails but it’s not our policy to not reply to emails.

Maybe you would be good enough to provide your order reference number which would allow me to look into your order process to see if we have messed up some where along the line?

Please feel free to email directly on iain@aktive8.com and I will ensure that I get back to you ASAP.

Best regards and sorry if you feel we’ve let you down on this occasion,

Iain Sked (MD Aktive8.com)
  • Of course there's no record of a call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All you get if you ring is the automated 'we're too busy to talk to customers' spiel with no option to let you leave a message.

Oh and it's an 0871 number which means it earns revenue for Aktive8 whenever you ring it...

impressed? only by the sheer bloody cheek of charging us for the pivilege of telling us to send an e-mail that they won't respond to whilst they earn interest on the money they've charged us for goods they've not provided...
  • Well, it's nice to know that forums have the power to change things...

A big thank you to Ian for sorting out my order and here's hoping the Aktive8 spam filter learns to be less aggressive towards customers.

RHY