La Dordogne, anyone been?

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
Morning all,

We've managed to bag a very cheap week in La Dordogne, next year.
Before we go ahead and commit:-

Has anyone been?
Is there anything we should know about?

All the usual stuff.

We probably won't take our bikes, but maybe hire a couple of 'boneshakers', so I'm mainly after general holiday advise, instead of bike specific.

Ta Muchly

Comments

• It's France, there's beautiful scenery, food & wine and you'll not be taxed horrendously for indulging in such pleasures.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    lovely views from Domme,
    Have a walk up to the castle in baynac, pretty much a town on a cliff face overlooking the river
    wander around Sarlat but try and avoid the crowds
    eat plenty of fois gras washed down with plenty mombasiac
    Do a bit of canoing on the river,
    potter around some of the bastide towns, maybe a tour of them on bikies, try the ones south of Lalinde

G
  • PostieJohn
    I meant to say we would be a couple of villages along from Sarlat, on the river.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    It is very beautiful, (however?), there are more British people living there per hectare than anywhere else in France (tip; if you want to be treated with dignity, whatever French you have, use it, even if you have to give up after "bonjour").

Agreed about Domme, Sarlat and canoeing on the river - these are all special experiences. Also do not miss the Lascaux cave paintings (the originals are sealed off but the reproduction caves are a technological wonder) You need to book, though, it gets very busy.

As for bike hire, you won't have to rely on boneshakers. Even 25 years ago, I hired a really nice road bike for the day from Sarlat, had it adjusted to my needs and set off to explore. French bike shops will rent you a good bike if that is what you want.

Be warned that it is pretty hilly, but the scenery is fabulous and really best enjoyed from a bike.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    As above,it's a beautiful place to see,good food & usually good weather.Some of the old walled bastides,a bit off the brit tourist trail,such as Monpazier (S/W of sarlat) are well worth a visit,& another nice town down that way is Gourdon (south of sarlat).Oh,Sarlat is pronounced without the t on the end.
    Get the trip booked & enjoy!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    As pneumatic points out, the area is very popular with Brits for holidays and residence. The name "Dordogne" is, I believe, only really used in the UK. The French refer to the region as Périgord.

We spent a week there a couple of years back after a wedding in Toulouse. Very relaxing it was too. Flew cheaply into Toulouse and hired a car, removing the long drive down the autoroutes. There are some incredible restaurants hidden away in towns and villages and we found the locals to be much more welcoming than some that we have encountered elsewhere.

Sarlat is nice so are the cave paintings at Lascaux (both pointed out above).

Hope that you do go and that you have a wonderful holiday.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    If you go to Beynac walk along the path at the top, behind the castle. You will see some rocks on the left. Look over them and down. You will be peering into the homes of people that live in the rocks below you.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • PostieJohn
    It's a sad sad day, we were all set to book up, Mrs Postie then says 'best check my new job is fine with those dates'. Guess what, they are not. We are just waiting for clarification, but it's looking very unlikely. Making all your very helpful and exciting comments even more painful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.