Watched the flying scotsman last night

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
Was an excellent film, but it was a bit contradictory in ways only a cyclist would notice.

The shoes/pedals were quite modern and not of the era (i think) and the track bikes should of been fixed but they werent... (well they didnt look like it!)

anyone else seen it?

Comments

• emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    damn... i missed it... ive never seen it before.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Saw it in the pictures in July. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I was watching it with some people who know the man and they reckoned Johnny Lee Miller did him to a tee.
    I have pain!
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Haven't seen it yet,but heard it was good. i'll probably ask for it off santa, along with the Robert Millar book. Has anyone read that yet?
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    I saw it on a long haul flight - thought ot was okay but it was a very condenced version of the book which was excellent.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Saw it at the cinema - but didnt spot any glaring mistakes ?

I've had Look pedals for 20 years or so - a lot of stuff is older than you may think. And I think the track bikes were fixed - freewheeling to the hour would have been a giveaway.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    fair enough cougie, i just thought the shoes looked like ones id seen in a catalogue/online recently
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    ash68 wrote:
    Haven't seen it yet,but heard it was good. i'll probably ask for it off santa, along with the Robert Millar book. Has anyone read that yet?

The Millar book is very good. Plenty of early memories & life as a new pro, all very interesting.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Reading the Millar book at the moment. Enjoying it too!
    I have pain!
  • Millaer book is great, but makes you really frustrated hearing all the details about THAT Vuelta. So nearly our first grand tour winner.
    It also really hacks you off when you read how badly he was treated by the media on THAT subject.
    Why does the British media always want to destroy its heroes?
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Have just pre-ordered The Flying Scotsman and am really looking forward to seeing it - struggled to find any cinema near me that was showing it (they were all too busy showing 'Dude, I Barfed On Your Ass' or something similar...)

The Robert Millar book is a great read but I agree that some sections make for difficult reading - "Leave the man alone!!!"
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    Just watched it on DVD. Excellent. Good x-mas present for any cyclists.
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • I think the lack of extras with the DVD is a bit of a mistake. Some interviews with O'Bree would have been good, maybe some footage of him riding and a making of the film would be nice. I'd would've liked to see Johnnie Lee Miller getting trained up for the riding to see how he got on.
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • ram038
    ram038 Posts: 187
    What's the name and who is the author of the Robert Millar book
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Robert-M ... 623&sr=1-1

Its by Richard Moore. Its a good read I found although a bit of a shame to hear that Millar wasn't that happy about it. I guess because there was (in my view, necessary) reference to recent rumours he'd prefer weren't talked about. Its well written and researched and there's some great anecdotes about the man himself.

I'm still struggling to finish The Flying Scotsman after starting it months ago. Although there's some interesting bits and I'm a fan of Obree I'm finding it pretty dry so I'm mostly skim reading the final chapters. I'm looking forward to seeing the film though.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    ram038 The Robert Millar book is called " In search of Robert Millar" by Richard Moore selling on Amazon for £9.59 Bargain, got mine on order for xmas .
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Just watched Flying Scotsman DVD tonight - it's not going to win any Oscars, but it's more engaging than some cycling films - like Overcoming. Even my wife enjoyed it, and she's no bike fan.
    I enjoyed the Millar book - the man's a true enigma.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..