Road cycling around Santiago, Chile

sancho_panza
sancho_panza Posts: 183
edited November 2007 in Tour & expedition
My wife and I are off to Santiago for a bit; we'll be arriving at the end of their summer holidays and living and working in the city.

No doubt I can check these things out when I'm settled in but it would be nice to hear from people who've things to say about the road cycling potential and possibilities around Santiago. We'll be living in the Las Condes /La Reina area I would imagine.

We both know the area but have never ridden our road bikes around there.

Cheers

Sancho

Comments

• I'm very jealous - I've been to Santiago twice and really like the city. Unfortunately. it's not that great a place for road biking. The problem is the shape of the country - it's too damn thin. In terms of paved roads, there's the Panamerican Highway and not much else.. The Panamerican is OK, but not that great for cycling. Many of the roads coming off the Panamerican end up as gravel tracks.
    If you like climbing, the road up to the Christo Rendentor Pass, en route to Mendoza in Argentina is good and with in striking distance of Santiago. Otherwise, the roads off the Pan American going to the coast are probably your best bet.
    Anyway it should be good fun exploring.
  • Thanks for that. I am sure I can hook up with some local cyclists to find my way around. Seems as though there's a good climb up to the ski area too.
  • noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    I was there 10 years ago before I was "into" cycling, at this time of year- only person in the city in shorts/tee (spot the tourist :lol: )

Traffic is just mad and fast

Potholes as big as craters

Great place though
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • Check this out http://www.welcometochile.cl They offer a great guided bicycle tour around the city centre (only on weekends though :cry: )
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I'm very jealous - I've been to Santiago twice and really like the city. Unfortunately. it's not that great a place for road biking. The problem is the shape of the country - it's too damn thin. In terms of paved roads, there's the Panamerican Highway and not much else.. The Panamerican is OK, but not that great for cycling. Many of the roads coming off the Panamerican end up as gravel tracks.
    If you like climbing, the road up to the Christo Rendentor Pass, en route to Mendoza in Argentina is good and with in striking distance of Santiago. Otherwise, the roads off the Pan American going to the coast are probably your best bet.
    Anyway it should be good fun exploring.

I was borne in Santiago many moons ago :D and I visit relatives nearly every year...

You could not be more wrong when you say "in terms of paved roads. there is the Panamericana Motorway and not much else" Nowadays there are many paved roads to the cost and to the Andes everywhere... last year I went to see people in Melipilla and from there I made my way to our Parcela in lake Rapel and from there we took a new wonderful road heading south to our farm near Vichuquen. I saw many new roads and they seem great for cycling - You must keep away from the North and South Panamericana, too busy and dangerous for cycling IMO....

Try this map

Rick
  • beto
    beto Posts: 7
    Hola Sancho panza i'm a chilean living in london and i can tell you that the best of cyling in chile is definetly outside Santiago, given all the cars in the city but you can try meeting roadies most weekends (saturdays morning) at entrance of cerro an cristobal (San cristobal hill) that is located right in the centre of santiago, on the top you can see beatiful views of the city. As well you can try climbing los andes given you are going to be living in las condes. But if you have time leave the road bike and take a mountain bike and head off to La carretera austral!! (south of Chile).
    Buena suerte!!
  • Cheers Beto. I know the Carretera Austral very well. My wife and I rode it a few years ago; some bits of it twice. It's one of the most beautiful parts of the world. The whole of Chile is like a bike tourer's dream. We toured all over and now we're going back to live and work there for a few years. We managed the Austral and most of the well known passes all the way up (except for Pino Hachado and Christo Redentor), finishing with Paso Jama and a ride through Isluga national park.

I'm really looking forward to getting back. Obviously things will be quite different but it will be exciting and interesting. I am hoping that the roads up to Valle Nevado and Farellones will provide some sport, and then there must be good riding just north of and around Viña.

Anyway, it's turned really cold in Edinburgh this week so all I need is some Chilean sun!

Thanks again

Steve
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I too was born there - not been back since I was a drooling baby though, despite having loads of relatives there. Can't contribute to the OP but it's nice to see that there are other Chilean cyclists in the UK!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Hola Beto and Vermooten :D como estan compatriotas!!!!

It is nice to see some chilean guys riding the roads of the UK.

I've never riden in Chile, well the way I do now, but I'd love to :D.... never enough time :( - anyway, at least I get to ride horses as much as I like :lol:

I have been trying to get some of the chilian guys here in Bournemouth to get on their bikes
    :lol: but they are too lazy :(

Saludos and keep riding

Rick
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    the Carretera is one long bit of Ripio
    the road to Mendoza goes over Los Caracoles, one long, steep switchback climb.

Most of the roads off the Pan Americana, Ruta 5, seemed to be ripio ( gravel)

Head south for the Region del Lagos, Temuco over to Villarica, Pucon etc. I enjoyed it around there.

San Christobel is a great climb early mornng, but be careful to come down the right way, I ended up up in some barrio that was not too friendly, so up from the Zoo and back down and home for breakfast.

I agree with the potholes, they are huge!!!!

george