Annoying and unsafe taxi driver

rich r
rich r Posts: 25
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi Folks

I've started cycle commuting into work a few times over the last few months, and have been enjoying it lots and generally dealing with the traffic OK

However, this morning whilst cycling down a bus/cycle/taxi lane in a sensibly primary position, a taxi driver appears to have attempted to knock me off. I was riding down at a fairly healthy speed (c. 20mph in a 30 zone), its a narrow bus lane with queing traffic in the other direction in the next lane.

To cut the story short the taxi driver was attempting to get past and then stopped at the next red lights and told me to get the F out of the taxi lane, then accelerated hard in front of me when the lights went green, and then did an emergency stop in the curb, seemingly attempting to get me to fall off.

I took a picture on camera phone of his reg plate and taxi plate. I feel like writing to the taxi authority in my area and cc: ing the local police.

Am i overreacting ?

Thanks

Rich.

Comments

• I don't think you're overreacting. Taxi drivers in London have a tendency to overtake cyclists very close. I think this is partly because they don't like anyone using 'their' lane, and partly because they think they have superior driving skills, short turning circle etc. There's also the fact that apart from buses they're the only other authorised motor users of bus lanes, so we're more likely to have run ins with them.

The bottom line is you have right of way and shouldn't have to pull over unless it safe to do so. You had a right to be in the bus lane. Always listen out for that diesel taxi engine behind you - it usually means trouble.
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I'm alway tempted to drag them from their cabs, beat them sensless, go through their pockets untill I find some info with their home address written on it, and then tell them I'll be around later to dish out another beating!!!!!

BTW some cab drivers are normal OK people (some are even cyclists).

If you have this guys number reg number, go to the cops. They'll more than likely do nothing, but at least it might be noted down.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Report it. To any or all of the following

1 police
    2 employer
    3 local licencing authority

If you don't then 'it didn't happen' as far as any of them are concerned.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    What a tw@t. Sad to think that some people don't have the imagination to realise what can happen if they knock over a cyclist. Luckily such idiots are in the minority.

Drivers almost knocking you off because of inattention or poor driving is annoying enough, anyone trying to do it on purpose deserves everything coming to them.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    you should have dismounted feet first into the back of cab & given him a couple of dents for his trouble.

Most cabbies are happy to be travelling at the speed of a bike, rather than sat in a queue.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    No

Go for it - he's an idiot and is risking his licence

Witnesses might be helpful

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    SecretSam wrote:

Witnesses are the last thing you want if you decide to fill in the guy's door panels :twisted:
  • rich r
    rich r Posts: 25
    Gussio wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Witnesses are the last thing you want if you decide to fill in the guy's door panels :twisted:

Thats always the worry !. Would like to kick or hit car etc, but know in my heart of hearts its the wrong thing to do.

Thanks all for your support....letters to Council Taxi licencing dept and policy on way. Made me feel a little better about it.

Heres to a better trip home !
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If this driver was actually trying to knock you off your bike you would have ended up
    on the pavement. It's not that hard to do. I doubt very seriously that he was trying to hit you. He's just an ***hole who hates anyone who gets in his way.

Dennis Noward
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    These 'idiots' are all very 'hard' behind their doors - just ask them to get out and continue the discussion......
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    dennisn wrote:
    I doubt very seriously that he was trying to hit you.

True.

They usually want to very quickly create a situation where evasive action is very likely to bring you in contact with the kerb. Hitting you would leave evidence. :evil:

Report it. You never know, it may be the 4th or 5th time he's been reported. Even if its only the 1st, it builds up a history.
  • As a cyclist and driver (on rare occastions now thankfully) in London I can offer some sympathy in that taxi drivers in London seem to think they have priority over everyone, regardless of whether your on your bike or in your car.

It appears that are taught that merely indicating is a license to then change lanes, regardless of if the driver was actually going to let you in! I've been cut up more times then I care to remember by taxi drivers just turning on their indicator and pulling out round a bus when I have right of way and no inclination to let them in, all so they can get round the bus and back into their empty bus/taxi/cycle lane (this is when I'm in my car of course!)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    From the bus this morning I watched a private hire vehicle belonging to a company of much contention in the local taxi community exit the Nethergate heading East turning Right (buses, taxis and cycles are exempt from the left turn only instruction here) and enter the wrong carriageway.

Unfortunately I couldn't see the plate number and I didn't have anything to write down the registration on nor did i remember it long enough to tap it into my phone... bugger.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Report it to the police
    no point in reporting to the cab authorities, they do nothing

For future reference, as most London cyclists have seen this sort of appaling and dangerous behaviour from a small minority of cab drivers is to opean the rear left door of the cab when it is stationary. The cab is unable to move until they get out and close it
  • You must report it.

Imagine if he did it again and knocked someone off!

Can you post his number here so we can look out for him for our own safety.
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • be careful

I ended up having a fight with a taxi outside Claridges Hotel the other morning - exactly because of this closs passing business - this started back on Park Lane with him hooting and passing close - I then overtook him - he then followed me through a muse cut-through close and gunning his engine - he then passed close again and yet again I passed him at the lights - I spoke with him and he gave me the I didnt see you crap and then the I was in the middle of the road get out of my way line - then he started sneering and being offensive feeling he had the upper hand so I whacked his mirror - not off just bent forward - he then got out and grabbed me - so I had him by the throat - and we pretty much stayed like this for about 10 minutes until the police came - who once they had heard my story and the kind canadian cyclist who also stopped to help let me go and took him off to their car - I so hope he was charged - I have heard nothing so he would only have been given a lecture but it was so satisfying to see him humiliated in front of the quite large crowd that had gathered

one thing I have noticed though if you do get in an argument with a cab driver - is the other cab drivers and always at least on Evening News delivery driver who stop and line up behind him - its far better to ignore these people and move on safely than confront them - I was lucky a witness stopped to help but it could have gone the other way really easily.
    ...its the legs that count !
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    As a cyclist and driver (on rare occastions now thankfully) in London I can offer some sympathy in that taxi drivers in London seem to think they have priority over everyone, regardless of whether your on your bike or in your car.

It appears that are taught that merely indicating is a license to then change lanes, regardless of if the driver was actually going to let you in! I've been cut up more times then I care to remember by taxi drivers just turning on their indicator and pulling out round a bus when I have right of way and no inclination to let them in, all so they can get round the bus and back into their empty bus/taxi/cycle lane (this is when I'm in my car of course!)

Dude thats not just London......They are like that in Edinburgh as I am sure they are everywhere else as well....although the 'hackney/MBH' style of taxi seems to be the worst!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    I got run to the kerb tonight for "hogging the bus lane like I owned it". I slapped his cab for overtaking with only about 4 inches to spare. Pointed out to him that I had as much right to be there as he did. He went off on one so I rode off, he did it again (not quite so close) so I smiled at him as I passed him in the next queue of traffic. Jeez I must be getting old or something. Didn't even swear at him.
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    should've kicked the sh11t out of his doors
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    i had a good one this morning. coming onto a 2 lane roundabout i was in primary in the left hand lane turning right at the roundabout (it's a weird roundabout where you can turn right in the left lane). The exit is controlled by traffic lights and i was coasting up to them in primary when the lights were on red and taxi driver starts beeping me. (Bear in mind he could have moved into the right lane as that also goes straight on) When the lights change, i set off and do my usual "clear the junction before moving back to the left" and this taxi driver starts beeping again and driving really close behind. He stops (in the bus stop :? ) 50m up the road to let his fare out at which point i've easily caught him up and ask him what the hell he thinks he was doing.

well, after explaining that it would be dangerous for me to be inconspicuous and not in a proper lane going through what turns into a 3 lane junction, it turned into a shouting match of course with me asking if he's ever seen the highway code and if he learnt to drive in the noddy and big ears school of motoring. His fare legged it fairly quickly :lol:

Guess at least it means he saw me tho, :roll: