This is true sport....

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/sto ... d=10473626

You wouldn't get this football would you? Not unless they were getting paid or it was a publicity stunt.
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• No, because the rules forbid a player just playing for someone else without a formal agreement such as a loan or a signing and there are, at the top level, signing on windows.

You could argue that the rugby team was cheating by playing a ringer and that this was unfair on the opposition. I heard about this on R4 news last night - a non-event as far I am concerned.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Whe I was at school one of the then West ham players, a Scot called John Cushly was also a teacher at the school. We used to have an end of season teachers vs 1st 11 match, and everyone was looking forward to seeing Cushly play for the staff. No way however, West Ham nearly had a fit when when he asked permission and told him under no circumstances whatsoever.

No team would risk one of their players getting injured by taking part in a game like that, I am surprised rugby clubs are more relaxed about it.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    There was a footballer a few years ago who found himself in trouble from club and football association for playing in a GAA Football match.

Mibbe its because Rugby as a whole doesn't have its head quite as far up its arse as association football does
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    blackhands wrote:
    No, because the rules forbid a player just playing for someone else without a formal agreement such as a loan or a signing and there are, at the top level, signing on windows.

You could argue that the rugby team was cheating by playing a ringer and that this was unfair on the opposition. I heard about this on R4 news last night - a non-event as far I am concerned.

Sports are games.....although there's lots of money in it now. Surely to play the sport well you need to enjoy it, if you can't have a less serious game, the game becomes too serious and losses are made to seem like disasters.

Footballers burning out? They don't do that much.....at most they'll play on average 2 games a week (for the whole year) and that's assuming they play (nearly) every game for their club and country and then they only train for a few hours each day. And then they live a life of luxury the rest of the time.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I think that it's great to see, I bet everyone there are please that they can say they played with or against, a player of that caliber.

I would like to say that i played with Gareth Thomas, Barry John, Rhys Williams Ray Gravell etc. oh and rode with Lance A, Millar, Bradley Wiggins, Geraint Thomas.
    Wouldn't you?
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Nah Nah Nah, this is true sport

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlEYNlSZ44
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    nwallace wrote:
    Nah Nah Nah, this is true sport

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlEYNlSZ44

Wish I could grow sideys like that.... :D
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Matt Le Tissier played for non-league Eastleigh. Of course, in football, as Blackhands points out, you can't just show up and play because that's against the rules. So, he signed up on the pitch and went on to score a couple of goals. So, apart from this example where one of the most talented footballers for a generation showed up to play for a local side to help them in their FA Vase campaign, no, you'd never see this in football. :roll:
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned