Lycra is gay

APIII
APIII Posts: 2,010
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
...or so I was reliably informed whilst out on Saturday's ride. The gentleman in question was of portly appearance, poor complexion, with ambitiously styled hair, you know the type. I'm not one to normally take these kind of comments seriously, but as the remark came from the rear window of that icon of masculinity, the Vauxhall Corsa, I feel compelled to give it due consideration.
Or was it simply like the gel in his hair, cheap and rather pointless?

Comments

• I'd put a sock down your shorts next time you're out riding.... :wink:
  • My wife tells me that lycra is only of interest to other males. :cry:
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    APIII wrote:
    The gentleman in question..., with ambitiously styled hair, the remark came from the rear window of that icon of masculinity, the Vauxhall Corsa

Sounds like you have outed another closet there :lol:
    I have pain!
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    My wife tells me that lycra is only of interest to other males. :cry:
    She might be right...

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    He was confused. It's dumbledore that's gay. Dumbledore is a completely different fabric, not as stretchy as lycra but with better insulation qualities.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • APIII
    pedylan wrote:
    He was confused. It's dumbledore that's gay. Dumbledore is a completely different fabric, not as stretchy as lycra but with better insulation qualities.

I had no idea. Are there any other man made fibres whose sexual preferences I should be aware of?
  • Polyester was known to experiment in its youth
  • It can't be gay as my wife always letches over pro riders. She even likes me in lycra and no way no how do I look remotely like Tom Boonen.

Actually I like Victoria Pendleton, Nicky Harris, etc. in lycra so it isn't even gay in reverse.
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    It can't be gay as my wife always letches over pro riders. She even likes me in lycra and no way no how do I look remotely like Tom Boonen.

Actually I like Victoria Pendleton, Nicky Harris, etc. in lycra so it isn't even gay in reverse.

I quite like lycra on blokes, esp my husband, but I think some of the pros (well, the ones I see on the tour de france) look a bit skinny, even Tom Boonen.
  • My friend always says that lycra is gay and pointless.... athough when I dragged him out on a 40 mile cycle since we were both bored it was a different story. I actually caught him pricing cycling shorts the next day lol.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    It isn't nice when you're behind the lycra buns of another cylist at the lights!
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Title is absolutely correct!

LYCRA is the London group for gay cyclists!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    My better half doesn't like the stuff, especially bib shorts/tights especially when I start pissing around with lunges and the like.

She does appr my buns though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tardie wrote:
    It isn't nice when you're behind the lycra buns of another cylist at the lights!

depends what gender they are. I've often not had cause for complaint
    <a>road</a>
  • tardie wrote:

And beware of lighter-coloured materials which can go semi-transparent when wet! One or two of my clubmates inevitable discovered this after the club's kit had been designed and ordered; no-one realised it was going to be a problem beforehand :oops: . Funnily enough the kit has since been re-designed again using predominantly dark colours for the bibshorts.....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    tardie wrote:

depends what gender they are. I've often not had cause for complaint

poofter eh?

:lol:

In all seriousness it's generally blokes who I've seen in lighter shorts, the girls would be much more aware of any potential crackage. I did tell my mate after a little cycle together that his were a little stretched and he should move up a size, he said that explained why I was pushing the pace more than my fair share :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Thinking about crackage, I have no idea how I managed to get myself into wearing lycra for cycling due to mental trauma as a kid.

When I was a kid in the 80's my Dad ran the Bedford Marathon. A couple of the leading ladies in the race were friends and it seemed had shared a stomach bug...... anyway they'd decided to run that day in those tight small running shorts that ladies wear, and chosen white as the colour of choice.

There I was applauding them in the finishing straight, and then noticed the carnage that had visibly happened in their shorts, to not one of them but both! They certainly hadn't had the presence about them to manage a Paula... :oops:
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Just don't strike a pose like this when 'out' on your bike :shock:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=1736
    I have pain!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hammerite wrote:
    Thinking about crackage, I have no idea how I managed to get myself into wearing lycra for cycling due to mental trauma as a kid.

When I was a kid in the 80's my Dad ran the Bedford Marathon. A couple of the leading ladies in the race were friends and it seemed had shared a stomach bug...... anyway they'd decided to run that day in those tight small running shorts that ladies wear, and chosen white as the colour of choice.

There I was applauding them in the finishing straight, and then noticed the carnage that had visibly happened in their shorts, to not one of them but both! They certainly hadn't had the presence about them to manage a Paula... :oops:

I never actually saw what paula did - I always assumed that it was a wee but now you've got me thinking that it might have been something else :P (what is the razz emoticon for?)
  • APIII
    tardie wrote:
    And beware of lighter-coloured materials which can go semi-transparent when wet! David

I'd steer clear of red also....

redbikeshorts.jpg
  • They're not called Poles for nothing!