Entire Pennine Way!

Rob1000SL
Rob1000SL Posts: 11
edited November 2007 in MTB rides
Personal Challenge: This summer I'm planning to get the whole of the pennine way ridden. This is going to include, where possble, the new pennine bridleway trail that's been made. I'll link up sections of this with existing bridleway (starting in the peaks) and try to get as far north as possible, hopefully up to the borders.
So...
Anybody attempted this or had similar thoughts?
Any tips or spots u think are unmissable along the way?

Rob

Comments

• mik...1
    mik...1 Posts: 39
    Hiya rob , i live near warrington and the route goes nearbye m8 through sankey pk and through black bear pk and around warrington but i dont think its all trail m8 .
    I think some of it is on the road around here you can check on it here m8, http://www.warrington.gov.uk/Leisureandculture/Parksandopenspaces/parks/Sankey_Valley_Park.aspx
  • HuDDy25k
    HuDDy25k Posts: 21
    Rob1000SL ya ok ? Well i am a barnsley lad and over the last year me and my mate have coverd a fair bit of the Trans Pennine Trail Round the Map 2 Central part we are hopeing to do from Southport 2 Hornsea soon. I have been looking at the Map 1 West area there is a lot of places to stay. A word of warning we did the Leeds 2 Chesterfield run a few weeks ago and lots of the path are in relly bad shape NOT GOOD WHEN YOU HAVE SPDs. Let Me know when ya thinking of doing the run may see ya along the way are u planing to do it over a day or a few days ?
    MaDe In ThE MoUnTaInS Of BaRnSlEyStAn
    My Bike:-
    http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j142/ ... =Bike3.jpg
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    good look mate ive been rideing the pennine way for the last ten years & ive still not covered it all. the best bit for me is around hebden bridge & into todmordon some beautyfull countyrside rideing.
  • Rob1000SL
    Rob1000SL Posts: 11
    MIK...1 & Huddy25k: Think you're getting the Trans-Pennine Trail mixed up with the Pennine Bridleway I want to do. Thanks anyway! Maybe after this mission I'll be in touch to ride the leeds - chesterfield section.

I - Drive: Looking forward to that section. looks good mapwise and got friends in Littleborough for a stop off. Never ridden those parts so an added bonus there.

I'll give u all a full report on how it went after it's done. planning it for the 3rd week of august. Sunsine please. As a side note... phoned up the 2 so-called PBW 'rangers' to see if anymore of the trail had been completed and they pleaded no knowledge. So much for help there then!

Laters
    Rob
  • dougi007
    dougi007 Posts: 9
    huddy how far is leeds to chesterfield run mate. thinking of doing that myself
  • rob,we have the start of the trail here(middleton),ive rode as far as buxton no problems.
    its a bit boring though,and gates!!theres so many gates on our section,you just get into your stride and you're stopping to open another gate.
  • A quick update as packing for an epic! Decided that it was worthwhile doing the Mary Towneley Route starting in Littleborough (going clockwise). If anybody fancies riding in outstanding countryside and pushng themselves then I can only recommend it. Beautiful riding huge descents and those uphills were mind over body at times!!! The trail is really well marked but do take an ordance survey. Managed it in 8 hours and loved every minute for it. Cheers for the advice everyone. Get iut there and do it!
    So for the next one.... going to tr the coast to coast in 4 days. Figured three is probably going to kill me, 4 is going to be much kinder on my thighs. Starting this monday so expect an update over the next weekend.
    Rob
    [/url]
  • Just a quick question, I have been looking a doing a long weekend rideover 3 or 4 days. So I have been doing some research and found three pennine rountes.

1. the trans-pennine trail
    2. the pennine bridleway
    3. The pennine way

I understand that the first trail is mainly road and second is bridleway(obviously) but third one is a bit vague I know that it is 265miles of paths from edale up to the scotish border but are you allowed to cycle it or is it for walkers only????
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/
    The Trail from coast-to-coast between Southport and Hornsea is 215 miles (346Km) long. (90% off road) A north-south route connects Leeds and Chesterfield and a spur to York means there are approximately 345 miles (555 km) of Trans Pennine Trail available to explore.

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/penninebridleway/
    The first purpose-built long distance bridleway for horse riders, mountain bikers and walkers. 120 miles of the route are currently open from Derbyshire up to and including the 47 mile Mary Towneley Loop in the South Pennines. In the Yorkshire Dales the 10 mile Settle Loop is also available.

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/PennineWay/
    The Pennine Way National Trail, 268 miles of chasing the Pennine Mountain tops along the rugged backbone of England, from the Peak District through the Yorkshire Dales and over Hadrian's Wall to the Cheviots. Amongst the finest upland walking in England.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    also there is the Penine cycleway from Derby to Berwick, around 360 miles long.
  • ash68 wrote:
    also there is the Penine cycleway from Derby to Berwick, around 360 miles long.

thats the one I was thinking of that was mainly road.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    steve 100 it is NCN ROUTE 68 it comes in three maps available from sustrans .webshop.I haven't done the route yet but have the maps. There looks a fair bit of riding on rough tracks etc, but some sections have optional road routes.There is also a section through Wark forest, south of Bellingham which looks very rough going.It would be no problems on a mtb or tough tourer with strong tyres, but no good at all on a lightweight bike.There is a website on the PCW but it is no longer being updated, try googling Pennine cycleway for more info.Hope this helps.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    steve100 wrote:
    Just a quick question, I have been looking a doing a long weekend rideover 3 or 4 days. So I have been doing some research and found three pennine rountes.

2. the pennine bridleway
    3. The pennine way

I understand that the first trail is mainly road and second is bridleway(obviously) but third one is a bit vague I know that it is 265miles of paths from edale up to the scotish border but are you allowed to cycle it or is it for walkers only????

Pennine Way a bit vague? Have you been under a rock? It's only the oldest and longest long-distance path in Britain and gets walked by thousands of people every year!!

The bad news for you is it's 99.99% public footpath so it's completely out of bounds for bikes. Stay off it.

Now here's a real challenge - the Pennine Way starts at Edale in Derbyshire and finishes at Kirk Yetholm, just over the border in Scotland. Try planning your own route between the two points staying completely legal yet at the same time following the Pennine Way as closely as possible.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:
    steve100 wrote:
    Just a quick question, I have been looking a doing a long weekend rideover 3 or 4 days. So I have been doing some research and found three pennine rountes.

2. the pennine bridleway
    3. The pennine way

Pennine Way a bit vague? Have you been under a rock? It's only the oldest and longest long-distance path in Britain and gets walked by thousands of people every year!!

The bad news for you is it's 99.99% public footpath so it's completely out of bounds for bikes. Stay off it.

Now here's a real challenge - the Pennine Way starts at Edale in Derbyshire and finishes at Kirk Yetholm, just over the border in Scotland. Try planning your own route between the two points staying completely legal yet at the same time following the Pennine Way as closely as possible.

When I say vague I meant there is little information regarding what parts are open to cycles, I know what it is I walked many parts of it. I just could not find any cycle info, and obviously that is because 99.99% of it is not open to cycles, so all though you were trying to insult me you also answered my question so thanks (I think).
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I wasn't trying to insult you at all, I was merely expressing surprise. Sorry if it came across that way. Thats the problem with forums, very difficult to express emotions, even with smilies!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:
    I wasn't trying to insult you at all, I was merely expressing surprise. Sorry if it came across that way. Thats the problem with forums, very difficult to express emotions, even with smilies!

That is defo the biggest problem with forums as I was not really insulted I was trying to be funny, It did not work though, I should have finished the sentence with LOL or :lol: . I have a very strange sence of humer and very poor spelling, (is humer spelt humur or humor???)