Thule 591 Roof Rack

squeeze_10
squeeze_10 Posts: 21
edited November 2007 in MTB general
Hi All

I've just bought a Thule 591 roof rack so I can go further afield on my bike, & what a fantastic piece of kit it is.
BUT I have a problem! When it is on the racks on my car roof, I can't reach up to put my bike on. Now I'm not the tallest 5'7" & my car (Toyota Corrolla Verso) is quite a high car, but surely I can't be the only person who suffers this problem.
Apart from taking a step ladder with me, anyone got any ideas, or suffer a similar problem?

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Stilts!!!!!!!!!!!!

A tall friend!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness get an old plastic milk crate you can put in the boot, or a small step ladder :D

HTH Phil
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Let the air out of the tyres (of the car).
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    I bought a step for a caravan (£10). It's metal with rubber stoppers for feet. I keep it in the car and use it upside down for carting my helmet, bottles and gloves out to the boot when I'm heading off. I damaged my arm from over-stretching up to the bike holder a few years ago and decided not to do a repeat. Alternatively, if you're younger than me, you might be able to stand on the car door sill with the rear door open.
  • h i r 0
    h i r 0 Posts: 76
    I can just about manage to get mine on top of my Multipla, which is a high car. I definitely need to get a step as I can feel I'm overstretching every time.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Being only 5' 6" I figured that I would have the same problem too, so I opted for the 561 carrier instead. This is the one where you remove the front wheel from the bike and lock the forks to the carrier. I can get my bike on this without any stretching or struggling.

Stu
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I use a stool from Ikea to reach the top of my car, called Letten, cost £ 4.99 and is heavy duty plastic with rubber inserts on the top so is good in the wet. Its about 30cm high. Doubles up as a box for gear when turned upside down.

Type Letten Stool into the Ikea website search function to find it.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Hello all

Thanks for your help & feedback.
    After trying pdid's idea of stilts & nearly falling off & breaking my neck, I've decided that stumpyjon's Ikea stool looks a winner. I'll be down Ikea this weekend.

Thanks again guys & gals(?)
  • Sorry but if i was that height and had a car of that sort i would have got a rear rack for the bikes. And by no means do i mean that in a nasty way.