side or post disc mount and new crankset question

Prowlus
Prowlus Posts: 539
edited November 2007 in MTB buying advice
Well In 13 days time my full suss bike will be running a new set of forks and front mech along with its hope pro2 wheelset which was installed today . Currently I have my sights set on a pair of rs pikes 2007 426 s with what i seem to think are side mounts at £299 but next years forks all have post mounts but cost a little pricier than my pikes (domains £374) . Is it worth it paying extra for forks with a more up to date disc mount?
Plus Does anyone know if this crankset

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23102

come with an integrated bashring? I'm considering swapping out my m760 with these ones

Comments

• Prowlus
    *bumps* anyone?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    No bumping please!

The side mount you talk about is called IS (International Standard).

Post mount forks have been around for ages, so they're not 'more up to date'!

What brakes are you planning to put on the forks & what forks are they on now?

As for the Crankset, it's not a bashring, it's a crappy bit of plastic supposedly to stop your trousers getting caught in the chainring.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Prowlus
    well I plan to move my juicy 7s from my rockshox Toras onto my pikes (if i get the pikes) I wouldn't mind the chainring but is it justifyable to get that crank against my existing ones?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The crankset isn't really an upgrade, your M760 is XT as is the one in the link, both HT II style & only 7g weight difference.

Personally I'd get the IS forks, cheaper & easier to fit the brake to, you may need an adaptor to fit the brake to the PM fork.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg