Holiday's in Majorca

martin56
martin56 Posts: 213
edited March 2008 in Tour & expedition
Looking forward to the summer holidays and I’m thinking of going the Majorca for two to three weeks with the misses and we have never been there before. I know quit a few teams go there for some winter training so can any on help me find a good area to please me for good cycling and the misses for her shopping sunbathing etc, etc. We would like to rent a viler with a pool.
Any ideas???
8)
Still going at fifty!But for how mutch longer

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Most bike camps are based around the hotels and beachs in the north (Alcudia and Pollenca I think). When I went we stayed in Deia on the west coast which is beautiful - a small, arty type village where lots of wealthy expats seem to live but still quite charming. The south, around Palma and Magaluf is chav central.

There are a few must do climbs, incl the coastal road from Soller to Valldemossa via Deia, Puig Major (on the main road from Soller to Lluc), the 'Soller pass' (on the main road south of Soller but going over the pass while all the cars go through the tunnel - this is great as the road is virtually free of cars after the split) and the daddy of them all - Sa Calobra. Unfortunately these are all fairly busy tourist roads (except Soller pass) but the traffic is generally well behaved. None are climbs are in the Alpine league but they are all very pleasant.

We went in May when the kids were in school and the weather was perfect. It really is a great place to go for a week or so on holiday.
  • martin56
    Thanks Shazz, any ideas on viler and cost in the North West.
    Chav central ;-) came across that around Benedorm when I was cycling around that area. Thanks again.
  • noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    www.procyclehire.com

based in |Port de Pollenca

Bruce who owns it is a wealth of info.

Lotsa routes form Pollensa
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • i second what shazzz has said above, i am just back from 2 weeks in alcudia and must admit it is perfect for cycling, the hills are less than 10kms away or you can stay in the lowlands cycling the cycle lines all day, another climb not to be ignored is up to the lighthouse at pollenca.one thing though it is awful busy in may if at all possible try heading out a bit earlier in april if at all possible.
    Also plenty of shopping in alcudia and a great beach and marina with lots of good pubs and restaurants
  • Hi Martin

Agree with all the other posts except I went to Mallorca in May before & the eather was crap for 3 days.
    So going april is a risk.
    The lighthouse that cuna mentions is at formentor. super switchbacks but busy enough roads.
    the Sa Colobra climb is class, think its 1100m vertical in 10km with a class double hair-pin & underpass.

Get the weather & ur sorted :D
  • martin56
    Thanks to everyone that should get me started :D
  • Also try and get over the passo del horno? which goes out the back of Bunyola. The square in Bunyola is one of the classic bike gathering places at lunchtime.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    I love Marjorca. I have been twice and all the family love it. I have rented the same Villa on both occasions, which is a few kilometers outside Pollensa. I can recommend Pollensa / Port de Pollensa as a place to stay and Procyclehire if you dont want to take your own bike. The shop has some nice bikes to hire, but if you have no joy there, there is a German shop in Can Picafort that has loads of bikes as well.
    The cycling is great, with loads of quiet roads to explore.
    I have done the the Sa Collabra climb and it was great, although try to time the climb back not to coincide with all the tourist buses leaving as it can be a nightmare. When I did the climb I must have been passed by 20 of them.
    Have a chat with the bloke at procyclehire as he will be able to help you with those kind of queries.
    Just 50 or 100 yards away from the procyclehire shop, on the main road along the beachfront, is Tollo's Restuarant. Tollo is a very keen cyclist and overall nice guy.
    On most days there will be a social ride starting there at around 9:30.
    I will be back there again in September.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    If yoyr wife wants access to Palma and it's shops you might consider Soller where she can get the train into Palma and you have access to some good cycling routes.
    Chris
  • I was in Majorca for a week recently and stayed in PalmaNova (agree with earlier chav comment) at the Stephen Roche cycling camp.

http://www.stephenroche.com/us/bike_rental.htm

The hotel was quiet good (Ponent Mar) and the cycling organised by the camp was excellent. Possible to hire a reasonably good bike there...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    In my younger days me & the girlfirend (now missus) hired a 20" wheel single geared tandem and did Can Picafort through Port de Pollenca and over the climb to the flashy hotel and beach at Formentor. Had a swim to cool down and then headed back again.

Very pleasant ride but I'd recommend bigger wheels, quite a few gears, comfier saddles and proper padded cycle shorts.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    PM me if you want some urls of villa rental and bike hire companies.
    Also can sugguest some other routes not populated by the 85,000 cycling tourists which visit here every year!
    Early season here can be a nightmare of cyclists - but with easter early next year April shoudl be good
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • I'd recommend Procyclehire too. Extremely helpful.
  • yeh procyclehire are great

mallorca is a fantastic country offering something for everyone

cycling routes galore, either the mountains with climbs like lluc, sa colabra and soller etc fantastic, but also plenty of flat with rides to petra a must, especially for the free oranges!!!

also if ur a trackie, despite rumours, palma is open and available for use

plenty of stuff for the family to do aswell, and of course the weather is amazing!

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk - Track Cycling Shop from Velodrome.org.uk - Casco, Bont Shoes, Dolan, Campag, Reflex Nutrition, Sugino and more
    http://www.sportstrainingsolutions.com - Cycling and Sports Therapy in Mallorca
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Just back from a week in mallorca. Stayed in Can pastilla. Good cycling in this area heading out from Arenal towards Luc Mayor. A lot of quiet Engish style country lanes with rare motor traffic. Mostly flat but a few long climbs. A lot of german cycling teams and pro teams stationed in Arenal. Lots of small villages with their squares populated by cyclists stopping for lunch/coffee. Great atmosphere. Going back in April.

Jim :)
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    noggincp wrote:
    www.procyclehire.com

based in |Port de Pollenca

Bruce who owns it is a wealth of info.

Lotsa routes form Pollensa
    I have also used these, excellent hire place.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K