which lenses ?

Rykard
Rykard Posts: 582
edited November 2007 in Commuting chat
HI,

I have a pair of Rydon with the photochromatic? lenses now the nights are getting darker i think I need to change the lens. What colour? clear or yellow?
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.

Comments

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Second vote for clear.

I remember reading some time ago that yellow lenses impair your vision, BUT trick you in to thinking you see better as by blocking the blue light tones they give the impression of increased contrast in lit areas. However vision in dark areas (potholes etc.) are reduced.

Make sure the lenses have an anti-reflective coating and I suspect clear will be cheaper so can easily be replaced as/when they get scratched.

Rufus.
  • Yardstick
    Yardstick Posts: 702
    I've used a pair of Rydons for 4 winters and don't think there is much to choose between the yellow and clear lenses in built up areas. As my morning commute is in daylight the yellow lense has its advantages, especialy on brighter mornings). However in the evening the clear ones are beter. Under street lights the clarity of vision is about the same, the only thing I have against the yellow lense is that the yellow filter can make it difficult to tell the difference between an indicator and a headlight on an approaching car.
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Clear it'd be for me.
    FCN 10
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    For me a yellow lense makes the different between being able to see or being blinded when a car doesn't dip there lights. So in the pitch black I use a yellow lens. If it is dusk however I need a clear lens.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    BentMikey would probably say "Black" :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I use "clear" Briko ones, which have a very slight pink tinge to them. Been using them for a couple of years now (with prescription lenses behind), no problems at all except misting up. However since polishing them with some fairy liquid, this hasn't happened.