Torque wrench set

Diver-m
Diver-m Posts: 158
edited November 2007 in Workshop
I am really tempted by this torque set, is it a good buy?

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... newsletter

Comments

• Only good for stem or seatpost, for cranks bearings you need some 50+ Nm... like those external bearings for Shimano cranks and BB
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Though for the higher torque ranges you can pick another one up for a lot less than that

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... WRENCH.htm
  • smoo
    smoo Posts: 25
    Not just stem and seatpost. It didn't occur to me before I bought my torque wrench but one of the best reasons to have one is for tightening the bolts that hold brake and gear cables. No more worrying about not tightening enough and having the cable slip, or too much and stripping the thread...

Best to get a torque wrench that comes with a calibration certificate. Norbar are good.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Is there one that covers the whole range i.e. 4-50Nm, or is it necessary to buy two?
  • I bought one of those but it doesnt seem to work!..ie when you have reached the reuqired torque setting it just carrys on tightening, it doesnt start clicking or anything to let you know your there..so I just use it and estimate things as best i can.
    I have a 'big' torque wrench that I do the crank bolt with that works fine, so I have tested it against that and either Im doing something wrong or its broken as it gives no indication when it gets to the selected torqe setting.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Chris5150 wrote:
    I bought one of those but it doesnt seem to work!..ie when you have reached the reuqired torque setting it just carrys on tightening, it doesnt start clicking or anything to let you know your there..so I just use it and estimate things as best i can.
    I have a 'big' torque wrench that I do the crank bolt with that works fine, so I have tested it against that and either Im doing something wrong or its broken as it gives no indication when it gets to the selected torqe setting.
    Must be broken Chris, can you send it back?
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    APIII wrote:
    Is there one that covers the whole range i.e. 4-50Nm, or is it necessary to buy two?
    Not that I'm aware of - would be difficult to ensure the accuracy at lower torque levels with something capable of going to the hgher ones. In any case the length of lever which is useful for things like crank bolts would be a pain to use with the smaller bolts.

I have a big one I inherited from my dad (designed for working on cars), along with a Syntace one which I got a special deal on when my stem got replaced under recall.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I'm after a BritTool torque wrench - very expensive at £129.99 but it's got all the certifications and with touch, sound and sight indicators that the specified torque has been reached seems to be duffer-proof. The socket set you have to purchase separately so I think this will have to be a Christmas present job :cry:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • You can find cheaper ones on ebay that cover that range.
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    I'm after a BritTool torque wrench - very expensive at £129.99 but it's got all the certifications and with touch, sound and sight indicators that the specified torque has been reached seems to be duffer-proof. The socket set you have to purchase separately so I think this will have to be a Christmas present job :cry:

If you're paying that money I can also recommend Norbar. http://www.norbar.co.uk/products_catego ... y_multid=1

The SL0 and slimline wrenches have all the certs and are great to use in my experience.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME there's nothing to cover the full range so you'll need 2. To be honest, 40-50Nm is a good heave and once you get a feel for it, you won't use it that often - an extension bar on a 1/2" socket drive wrench is enough for most tasks. The main reason for needing a torque wrench is to get even tension on things like multi-bolt stems and carbon seat posts, so something like a 4-20Nm is more than adequate.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • GF22
    GF22 Posts: 67
    Can anyone tell me what adaptors I need for thye torque wrenches? I have wrenches but am not sure what to get to go with them. I want to use them for everything from tightening stem bolts to seatposts up to fitting cranksets.

What do I need for these for my torque wrenches and where can I get them from?

Thanks for any help