BIG mistake....my own fault!

Eat My Dust
Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
edited November 2007 in Commuting chat
I went to overtake a lorry that was stationary in a line of traffic, no cars were coming the other way, as I come around the back of the lorry I see a bus has stopped and car is overtaking it, there wasn't enough room for both of us, so we both do an emergency stop, I had trouble unclipping being caught totally off guard. I managed to unclip but fell slightly towards toe lorry I had been overtaking, the lorry was just starting to pull away and it had one of those hooks on the trailer for wrapping rope around, this caught me just inside of arm around the tricep area and ripped all the way through to the flesh. Talk about pain!!!!!! I still had 6 miles of my commute to do, which was done through gritted teeth. What a mess my arm is in!! I can't help think how lucky I am that it was a bit warmer this morning and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt, god knows what would have happened if I had been wearing long sleeves and the hook had caught on that? dragged under the wheels perhaps?!?!?!?

I feel like a right f_c_ing idiot, I'm usually so careful and aware of my surrounding when cycling!!!

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    OUCH! :x :(:cry:

That sounds really nasty.

We've all made mistakes that either have ended in injury, or could easily have done. The trick is to be even more vigilant and careful in the future. There's no point beating yourself up about it, sounds like the truck already did that for you!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    glad you are ok relatively speaking!

can we get a photo of the injury?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Ewww, sounds nasty, did you get a tetanus booster? Get it checked out by a medical professional

And I definitely DO NOT want to see a piccie :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Bloody hell! Glad it wasn't worse...

Hope you recover and definitely NO picture please!!!!!!
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    main thing is your just about ok.Bet it was well scary at the time. Pleased your still in one piece.
  • We're you bleeding? Sounds like agony.

I made a big mistake today as well. In the bus lane trying to get into the right hand lane when a car beeped me from behind. I look around and the car is in the bus lane following me very close. So I let fly with a torrent of verbal and a few hand signals. Then the driver says he's a taxi and is allowed in the bus lane. I had to apologies and he told me to calm myself :oops:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If I'm in a bus lane and get a car that shouldn't be there behind me then for some reason my momentum drops very rapidly, if however it is a cab or bus, a legitimate buslane user then it doesn't drop. Can't explain it myslef :wink:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    We're you bleeding? Sounds like agony.

I made a big mistake today as well. In the bus lane trying to get into the right hand lane when a car beeped me from behind. I look around and the car is in the bus lane following me very close. So I let fly with a torrent of verbal and a few hand signals. Then the driver says he's a taxi and is allowed in the bus lane. I had to apologies and he told me to calm myself :oops:

Why did you apologies. He was beeping at you and driving closely behind, just because he's allowed in the bus lane doesn't give him priority over cyclists.

BTW back to the OP, I cycled the 13 miles home last night, another BIG mistake, every little bump felt like someone sticking a hot knife into the gash in my arm, had to take the train this morning!! :cry:
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Glad to hear your ok, it could have been worse but dont waste time thinking on it.
    Think about how you could avoid the same scenerio again and learn from it.

:D
    FCN 10
  • supprised no one had blamed the lorry yet :)

sounds like a close call, glad your okay