I've Ordered My Bike, Now what?

trenchn
trenchn Posts: 24
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I have just ordered and am waiting for my new bike( Mongoose Tyax Super). What else am I going to need? I want a nice list to give my wife for Christmas Ideas!
I'm thinking mudguards, are the crud catchers the best at a reasonable price?
Do you normally use cleated shoes, or is that just for road work? What about keeping the bike clean and maintained? Any good products available? We're on a budget so good value is always appreciated.
I look forweard to hearing your views.
Can't wait to get out in the fresh air!
:? Cheers
Nick

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    Yeah Crud catchers are fine.

you'll be wanting some Fenwicks bike cleaner, some finish line dry/wet lube, some degreaser and some gt85, maybe a expanded tool kit, a multitool, and a decent pump.

or to make you bike more personalised, some new grips (lockon), saddle, pedals, and mayeb a bit of hope (or similar) in the clamp and QR departments..

then you'll get the bug and soon all your money will go on it..
  • Apart from a bike helmet then something you'll really want is a multitool that lives in a bag under your seat alongside a spare inner tube and a pump that lives on your frame.

Saves you a long walk home and makes a nice package for xmas. :)
    2008 Rockhopper Disc (Silver)
    2009 RockShox SID Race forks.
    XT Drivetrain
    Continental Speed Kings (PR) Traction
    Garmin 705 Navigation
    Fat bloke on a bike engine
  • Sev101
    Sev101 Posts: 56
    Hydration pack always useful - goes on your back keeps drink handy and can hold stuff in there was well - jacket, multi tool, inner tubes, glasses etc.

Some good gloves are always useful preferably full finger for when it gets cold in my case but is up to you and some glasses with interchangable lenses if poss can get them cheap enough from argos etc to start with. Helps when out and if the weather not the best can put the clear lenses in and not have to worry about mud getting in your eyes every five minutes. If is a good day then back to normal sunglasses lenses and helps to be able to see full stop!!!

Not much fun coming down hill and only being able to see from 1 eye!! :shock: or the sun gets in your eyes and you cant see where the hell you are!! :shock: :shock:

Most importantly just get out there and enjoy it!!
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    I think I will write my wife a list! what a great idea - welcome to the forum!

I agree with these guys and wanted to add that I found going to Chain Reaction Cycles webpage a great way to weigh up what bits to get and also for how much (there are very good deals on there). You will find CRC are always mentioned on here and are one of, if not the best, suppliers of MTB components & equipment etc.

Have fun and Merry Xmas mate.
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Mud guards are for girls! How else are you going to get covered in crud? Hmm? And then ruin the wife's washing machine?

Seriously though, think -

Helmet
    Gloves
    Eye Protection
    Shorts/Short Liners
    Multi Tool
    Spare Inner Tube + Puncture Stuff
    Hydro Pack

As far as the clipless pedals things go, learn to ride with flat pedals and shoes. Then move on to clipless pedals/shoes when you are more proficient and confident. They take a bit of getting used to and it probably isn't a good idea to start off on them.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I wish I knew before getting my bike..... Soo much money has gone now
    Marin Nail Trail with a few modifications...

http://fatmongoose.pinkbike.com/album/Marin/
  • mozzle
    mozzle Posts: 100
    Welcome to the wonderful world of mountain biking :D