Continental GP Tyres

adh038
adh038 Posts: 67
edited October 2007 in Workshop
I have Conti GP's on my road bike that are supposed to be relatively puncture resistant, good wearing tyres yet they are littered with 'nicks' in the surface and I am getting fairly frequent punctures.

Does anyone have any experiences of these tyres and if so, how do you find them?

Comments

• Give the Continential 'Gatorskins' a try.... more hard wearing with winter on the way

"It absolutely will not stop......ever, until you are dead"
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For god's sake - do a search on Conti's tyres there's been countless threads on them...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    And forget the Gators. They are rubbish. 4 seasons are much better.
    Also check your tyres often and remove any glass, etc before it gets to far in. A quick check before every ride will save no end of punctures.
  • adh038
    MontyDog - if you're so fed up with the threads, why bother wasting time writing on them?
  • adh038
    Krylions seem to be the way to go according to previous posts. I think I'll give them a try.
  • Have a look at Schwalbe Blizzard, my LBS swears by them.
  • Fit Mr Tuffys under the tyre, and make sure you get the glass out between rides. You'll get very few punctures, and you can transfer the Mr Tuffys to the next set of tyres.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    adh038 wrote:
    I have Conti GP's on my road bike that are supposed to be relatively puncture resistant, good wearing tyres yet they are littered with 'nicks' in the surface and I am getting fairly frequent punctures.

Does anyone have any experiences of these tyres and if so, how do you find them?

I had a rear wheel GP4000 and like yours, it was covered in nicks, some quite deep. I only had 1 puncture in about 1000 miles, but in the end binned the tyre as I didn't feel comfortable with the state of the outer casing
  • adh038
    These tyres have about 1500 miles on them. Pricewise, they aren't cheap so I was certainly expecting a bit more. The performance is also pretty disappointing though that could be my legs!