What New Tyres??

MickyMick
MickyMick Posts: 33
edited October 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi all!

I ride glentress most weekends and occasionally some of the other 7stanes courses and use a Specialized Rockhopper (2003) I have never had(/felt the need) to replace my tyres that came with the bike (Specialized Roll-X 26 x 2.0", wire bead) [was out the game for a couple of years due to injury] but they are now looking pretty bare and i feel i need to update. Over the summer i have been prone to quite a few pinch flats and am looking for something that will give good grip and inspire confidence especially when cornering.

I tend to stick to the red route and usually throw in the deliverance loop/redemtion climb/ewok village.

I had been thinking of the Specialized enduro pro's but i'm not sure if they would be able to fit my frame with a 2.3" width especially with winter coming in and the increase in mud!

can anyone give any advice or experiences they have had with these or other tyres?!

Cheers,
MickyMick

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm currently on panaracer cinders, they are nice and grippy, but pretty fast, they have good side-lugs for cornering too. I like the folding version as well and trailrakers for when things get muddy.

If you pinch puncture a lot have you considered going tubeless, most probably with stans? That might be a good route for you to go down.
  • R_W, thanks for the advice.

I hadn't thought about the tubeless route.
    Is there a rough guide to the pressure your tyre should be, especially concerning your weight, which may help avod pinch flats?

I notice you can get the Cinders in differen't widths, what difference does this make? i'm currently on 2.0's. Is it better to get narrower width for a winter/mud tyre to help clear?

CHeers.
    M_M
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I run the 2.1 cinders and want to get some more trailrakers in a smaller size because i'm on really clayey mud, which doesn't clear so i want them to be as small as possible.

generally there are two modes of thought on winter tyres, go thin to cut through to the solid ground, which i think works well in sticky but thin mud. Or fat and floaty to skim on the surface, which works better in thick, non-sticky mud.

For pressure, if you get pinch flats then pump them up untill you don't get any. 45psi is a good place to start though.

If i can find a tyre i like enough for most conditions i'll go tubeless, but there are some more i want to try first! Stans no-tubes is of course the easiest way to go bar UST solutions.