custom disc brake engraving

tomw_n
tomw_n Posts: 8
edited October 2007 in MTB general
Hey

A guy I work with has custom discs on his Hope brakes. They are 203s and around the side he has small lightning bolts cut out to ventilate the pads. They look wicked! Got me thinking...I'd quite like to get some custom discs with custom cut-outs too. Anyone know anyone who could do this?

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hope.

they were not custom. Hope made them like that for a while but they started to Fail so stopped the lightning bolt ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    I work as a laser cutter and in the process of gettin some designed to be cut. Whether they'll be safe or not is a different story though! :shock:. If i dont post for a while you know the answer :P.
    Cheers,
    Scott
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    I got mine wire eroded at work, a lot more accurate than laser cutting in my opinion, don't know how much they would retail at though. probably 80quid. Have a word with a precision engineering company for quotes etc :o
  • you can get custom text cut into them via hope (or crc as a middle person) phone them up and have a word
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    Forcutty did you get yours wire eroded as an after market job on rotors you already had or were they done from scratch? Just interested what design you used as im really unsure bout the reliability issues if i get some cut in work! Considerin using the hope pattern but with text round the edges aswell as holes, thay'll be on 200mm and 180mm rotors.
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Just phone up hope, they love doing odd jobs like that, i've seen them with text and they can still do the gothic ones if you want. I even saw a trials one which had notches cut in radially that looked like it would never work but bit really nicely!