Hayes 9 (Nine) Upgrade Forum Hayes Sole

PLuKE
PLuKE Posts: 181
edited October 2007 in MTB general
Hi.

I was looking at upgrading for something alittle more powefull. I Found a good offer on brake discs and the Hayes 9 (nine). Are they any better than the Hayes Sole?. Am new to MTB so please excuse the question!.

Thanks

Luke
2013 Merida Ride 93 Carbon

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Yes the nines are more powerful & a lot better then the Sole's.

Do you have separate brake levers, or are they combo'd with the gear levers?

If they are separate, no probs, if combo'd then you'll need new gear levers too.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • PLuKE
    It comes with everything. Master cylinder with brake levers, the calipers and the roters (160mm).

Luke
  • fabienno1
    fabienno1 Posts: 406
    I'm afraid he means are the gears and brake levers one piece. Like below? 50-2819-NCL-TOP.jpgOr like these...?
    ShimanoAcera.jpg
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • PLuKE
    Arhh, Thet are just like the 2nd pic. Just the levers.

Luke
  • Andy B
    Or these (a different combo gear/brake lever)

shimano%20stm510pad.jpg

If you have this style (with a single clamp holding the gear & brake levers to the bar) you will need new gear shifters.
  • Andy B
    PLuKE wrote:
    Arhh, Thet are just like the 2nd pic. Just the levers.

Luke

You'll be fine then.
  • fabienno1
    fabienno1 Posts: 406
    Yeah, those were the ones I meant but couldn't find a pickature :evil:
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • PLuKE
    Thanks for the help guys!.

Luke
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    are u focused on hayes or willing to try other brands? Personaly i dont like hayes, bit all or nothing in my opinion. I have some Juciy Avid 5's and very pleased. Cheap to :D
    Reading it again, u said looking for power, yeah ok hayes maybe, but still some other makes like hope are probs better....
  • Andy B
    I agree with the on-off feel of the hayes, but they are damn powerful, more so than my Hope mono Mini's.

Shimano Deore are another very powerful brake, & cheap too, just make sure you get the correct rotor type (6 bolt or splined)
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    pluke can i ask what sort of riding ur doing? have u looked into just buying bigger rotors to increase power?
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    Do you have separate brake levers, or are they combo'd with the gear levers?

i love this forum. roflol
    Hayes Soles are hydros, i've had some, there good. Just get them set up and bled properly and there fine. That is unless ur gonna do some serious downhill? :wink:

What type of riding do you do?