Shimano hollowtech vs raceface X type

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited November 2007 in MTB buying advice
They seem very similar in fact identical - what's the difference? Any pros or cons? :?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    very different. have a real look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Will do Nick...... on the case! :D

Arrrggghhh - feels like an exam and its staring me in the face but I cant see it - I bet it's blooming obvious isn't it :lol:

When I look at the installation sheet for both they look the same!!!

Help!! :lol:
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    The non-driveside crank arm on the Raceface's is connected to the axle, its the opposite for Shimano.
    The shimano's use a pinchbolt to hold the arms on, the Raceface's use an ISIS type setup.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • aaaahhh. I printed off the sheets and it doesnt show you that... :oops:

next question - generally, is the x type a good system?

The reason I asked is that the other day I ordered, paid for and was waiting for my dual ring Saint cranks to be delivered - today nothing still so phoned up and was told that they wont be getting any until end November which is too late. Need to get my bike built up next Friday (day off especially booked up in advance - shite holiday booking system in work) so told them to refund me which they are going to do

SO, today I ordered a Diabolus dual DH/FR crankset with bashguard which will be here tomorrow/thursday (from CRC - I actually emailed them to make sure they had them and there wouldn't be any f-ups)

And I am fitting them myself, have the tools (believe they work with Shimano HT tool) and am having the BB shell faced for £5 at LBS...

Thanks!
  • nicklouse
    shimano is the better set up.

dont like the idea of the drive side crank falling off.

common problem with the RF set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Big Cheese
    edited October 2007
    nicklouse wrote:
    shimano is the better set up.

dont like the idea of the drive side crank falling off.

common problem with the RF set up.

ha ha - time will tell Nick - time will tell.

From what I gather though - installation is pretty much the same......?

These are they BTW...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4142
  • nicklouse
    yes exept that you have to get the chain line perfect. and there is just one bolt doing 2 jobs that are dome by 3 on the shimano set up that allows you to play with it as you like.
  • The Big Cheese
    edited October 2007
    Oohhhh eerrr - let's hope I'm one of the fortunate ones..... :lol:
  • nicklouse
    well lets say this i would have waited.
  • As I am only a basic(ish) home mechanic, with what you say about chainline etc do you think I should have them installed by LBS (he'll do it for £10-15- as I am a regular customer)
  • I'd say yes got LBS unless you are confident you can get it all on and set up with no worries. If the LBS do it and something goes wron you can go back to them.