Shops in Manchester

dav_safc
dav_safc Posts: 59
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
I am going to be in central Manchester early in w/c 5 Nov. Any decent shops close by where I could waste some hard earned brass ? I could be showing my age but does Harry Hall close to Vic Station still exist ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Harry Hall is still going, just down the road from the old Hacienda on Whitworth Street

http://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/directory.asp

You've also got Evans Cycles on Deansgate.

Happy Shopping :D
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Edinburgh bikes in Rusholme but that would be a short taxi ride away.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    dav_safc wrote:
    I am going to be in central Manchester early in w/c 5 Nov. Any decent shops close by where I could waste some hard earned brass ? I could be showing my age but does Harry Hall close to Vic Station still exist ? Thanks in advance.
    I bought my first (adult) bicycle there but in 1996 the IRA arranged for them to move to new premises... :shock:
  • chops_lad
    chops_lad Posts: 2,231
    Leisure Lakes is in Bury as well, only 1 metro ride away.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    popette wrote:

Go down to Rusholme and you can also have a look into Bicycle Doctor (who sold me my first road bike thereby ensuring I'd never have savings ever again...) :wink:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    popette wrote:

Go down to Rusholme and you can also have a look into Bicycle Doctor (who sold me my first road bike thereby ensuring I'd never have savings ever again...) :wink:

Is that by Hardy's Well?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Is Hardys Well the pub on the corner? If so that's the one. Dickenson Road, I think it's called. Great shop and very helpful staff - especially to an idiot who isn't really sure what he's after (ie me...) :oops:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Is Hardys Well the pub on the corner? If so that's the one. Dickenson Road, I think it's called. Great shop and very helpful staff - especially to an idiot who isn't really sure what he's after (ie me...) :oops:

I'll have a look there when I'm back at uni next year, it's well within walking distance of where I lived the last two years and where I'll live next year. Unfortunately there's no top notch LBS near me at the moment, although they are very helpful and try to get everything sorted.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    That's the one; Hardy's Well pub is on the corner.

To the original poster...if you're getting a bit confused.

Harry Hall's is just one minute away from the main city centre on Whitworth Street. Good independent shop.

Evans is on Deansgate, bang in the city centre.

Edinburgh Bicycle is a large shop in Rusholme, just south of the city centre. Famous for its curry mile so well worth a visit anyway. It opens late (8.00, I think). It's next to Sangam curry house which is one of my favourites. Also opposite the Whitworth pub which is very good indeed and is famous as being the local for the Moors Murderers. Lovely. I've actually gone off Edinburgh; I think they need to sort out their staff.

Bicycle Doctor is at the end of the curry houses in Rusholme just up a side street (Dickenson Street). Very small but packed out with good stuff. Very knowledgeable staff. Often organise rides in the evenings and on Sunday mornings.

Leisure Lakes is in Bury. A good 30 minutes on the tram and then a 5-10 minute walk. Big shop and I bought my last bike from them. I'd never heard of them but was very impressed indeed.

There's also another shop in Chorlton (can't remember the name) that's pretty good. Probably 10 minutes from the city centre.

Finally there's a big Halford's in White City, just by Old Trafford Football stadium.

Can't think of any other decent bike shops in and around the city centre. Be keen to hear of any!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    That's very comprehensive NFMC. It bought back a few memories too from my student days in Manchester (after the Moors murders but before the IRA bomb).

There's a shop out in Urmston that's quite good but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. It used to be a real old roadies shop - full of Italian exotica. It might not be there anymore though.
  • popette
    I've actually gone off Edinburgh; I think they need to sort out their staff.

yes, good point. Some of them are pretty awful. Evans have some dodgy ones as well - I was practically doing his job for him when I went in on Sunday. I almost asked if he'd had a rough night because he certainly wasn't with it.
  • There is withington cycles in withington, on burton road as well. They'll make you a cuppa if you ask.
    Dan
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    andyp wrote:
    That's very comprehensive NFMC. It bought back a few memories too from my student days in Manchester (after the Moors murders but before the IRA bomb).

There's a shop out in Urmston that's quite good but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. It used to be a real old roadies shop - full of Italian exotica. It might not be there anymore though.

Eddie McGrath's is in Station Road, Urmston - still going strong, excellent shop, recommended.
  • Folks thanks for all this. I have Evans & EBC fairly close to me. So will try to check out the "indies". Happy cycling.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    Eddie McGrath's is in Station Road, Urmston - still going strong, excellent shop, recommended.
    That's the fella. Thanks!

Friends of mine live just round the corner so I'll drop in when I'm visiting them next.
  • The bike shop in the centre of Chorlton is called Cycle Logic. It's not a massive shop but still has a good range of bikes for its size and is also notable for (unusually) a selection of Sturmey-Archer spares on display.

And a big branch of Halfords is at the Manchester Fort Retail Park about 2 miles NE of Manchester city centre not far from Cheetham Hill, which is apparently the only branch in Manchester that stocks Boardman bikes, though I haven't been there for a few months.
  • i recommend Harry Halls - theyv just built me a luvly rear fixed gear wheel :)
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    New Evans store just opened next to the Trafford Centre, in the new Chill Factor snow thing....
  • popette
    i just got some discount vouchers through for the new Evans store - yes!!