Maverick speedball.

scotttomo
scotttomo Posts: 531
edited November 2007 in MTB buying advice
Thinkin bout buyin a speedball. And was wondering if anyone owns or has had any experience good or bad with one? Any views greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott
"If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!

Comments

• miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    Get 1!!!
    You'll love it
    I had one before my bikes got stolen, when I get replacements I WILL be getting another Maverick!
    I'm not the best of riders. Decent but not the best! And the Maverck makes me feel soo much safer going downhills and tricky routy sections.
    Get one...You wont regret it
    PS No hassel with servicing etc
    Mine never needed anything inparticular
  • scotttomo
    Worth the money then would you say? Anybody else got any views? What bout crank bros buyiing the rights to make em? Anybody think they will/can make it any better?
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

• A guy from my LBS bought one for the MegaAvalanche, but he did so knowing that he wasn't going to use it again until next years race. He seemed to have reservations about the reliability, and considered himself lucky that he got to the finish without it sticking.
    Still, they do seem a bit prejudiced against some brands.
  • scotttomo
    Well thats the thing you see, i've read a couple of reveiws online and stuff were people have said that they've had reliabilty issues. But i've also read reviews that people have had trouble with maverick forks but mine have give me no hassle whatsoever. So conflictin views is makin me wonder whether to spend out on a speedaball. Who distributes for maverick in the uk? What is their cust services like?
    Cheers for all replys,
    Scott

• miket-62
    With the experience I've had with mine is excellant!
    No service problems AT ALL
    I bought mine from my LBS, so if there were any probs I'd just take it back and say...."Sort it plz" :wink:
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    This speedball seems to be similar to a suspension seatpot but with highthening and lowering characteristics . Would this be suitable for a full suss? or would it cause my old friend "bob" to rear its ugly head?
  • miket-62
    The speed ball has nothing to do with suspension
    It is only seat height
    It has about thee inches of "travel"
    What I do is set it at fully out for my normal riding then lower it for the downhills or technical bits.
    It can be set at any height within the three inches of travel
    Like I said a moment ago.
    NOTHING TO DO WITH SUSPENSION
    If you want a suspension seat-post I think one is called THUDBUSTER? Or something like that
    Hope that helps :D
  • Tony06
    Tony06 Posts: 311
    what about the "garvity dropper" seatpost.. it does the same job http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... pper-21323
  • See where your comin from tony but dont really like the look of the gravity dropper. Looks a mess and dont really fancy changin the cables all the time. The speedball has a lever under the seat with the option of attaching a remote. Don't think the dropper offer this and from the review you posted it speaks for itself :P .

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've been thinking about buying one too but posts about them getting easily affected by dirt and sticking etc. put me off. Planning on waiting to see what CB do with the licence they have for it, mind you reading about all the maintenance issues with egg beaters put me off buying them :p
  • I wonder what CB will do with it? Will be interesting to see! Anyone reakon they'll go up in price when CB's finish tinkerin with it? Think i'll be ringin up my LBS to see what price they'll do me one for. Plus if anythin does go wrong it'll easy to sort out.