best winter jacket?

jibberish
jibberish Posts: 151
edited November 2007 in Workshop
Hi

I'm thinking of getting one of these http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/ProductDetails/mcs/ProductID/10671/GroupID/3/CategoryID/18/v/0267fd92-f3f2-40b4-b0b8-f68eebf59edb

Does anyone know if they'e any good?

I'm also looking at getting a winter jacket. Anyone got any recommendations? I don't want a waterproof jacket - coz I spent £75 on an Altura waterproof that I swaet to death in. I might as well just get wet.

Cheers

Comments

• assos airblock jacket.
    warm by itself, but stick some other layers underneath and you can't go wrong. :D
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I'd be surprised if that jersey was any good as it doesn't appear to have a windproofing layer to it.

I've got a Gore Tempo jersey which is windproof and shower resistant and would recommend it. They retail at around £100 I think.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    GB Cycles have got the Gore Tempo for £65 at the moment. I'm going there on Saturday so will have a look.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Nike top is an really a 'thermal layer' and not really suited to outerwear in winter. For winter use, you really want something that is warm and windproof. Whilst the Assos jackets are nice and very good for fast-paced riding, they're not as warm as the likes of the Gore Tempo, which have windstopper softshell outer. Pit zips on a softshell jacket is desireable - they can get pretty warm. The Gore Tool is my favourite - now discontinued but you may find one on discount - numerous big pockets plus pit-zips
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    GORE Tool jacket - warmest thing I own for cycling :)

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yep, windstopper softshell is what you want

Gore do some nice ones

The Nike is okay, but as said, it's a base layer really (the missus has one).
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    andyp wrote:
    I'd be surprised if that jersey was any good as it doesn't appear to have a windproofing layer to it.

I've got a Gore Tempo jersey which is windproof and shower resistant and would recommend it. They retail at around £100 I think.

You're obviously not used to the Assos way of making cycling clothing Andy
    :lol:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    You're obviously not used to the Assos way of making cycling clothing Andy [/i] :lol:
    I think Assos shorts are excellent, although they need to sort out the leg grippers. Their jackets look like escapees from a S & M convention. If I wanted to look like a gimp I'd know where to go. :wink:
  • have you not heard the michael jackson look is back in?? :D
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • giant_man
    What's a gimp anyway?
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    I was just about to get a Ground Effect - Baked Alaska jersey, as it gets good reviews.

However, what's the sizing like with the Gore Tool jersey? The blurb says "close fit".
    I usually take a medium with most clothing. But I have a Gore short sleeve jersey in medium that is more like a large.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Another vote for Gore Tool softshell
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Castelli Solo, windproof and folds up to fit in your jersey pocket...
  • giant_man
    How warm is it jashburnham? Your Solo I mean.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I wear it over a winter jersey and it's been too warm so far! I reckon it'll be perfect for Dec, Jan, Feb. It's subjective though I guess, I don't really feel the cold that badly and find it easy to overheat.
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    I have just bought a Gore Tempo jersey and would suggest that it is better than the Assos Airblock jacket which I previously used. The fabric may not be as felxible as the Assos jersey but it is still really comfy and seems to be warmer. I used to have to wear a long sleeved base layer and a long sleeved jersey under the Assos jacket in the depths of winter which was a bit bulky. I recently went out for a ride when it was only 4 degrees and only needed the Gore jacket and a long sleeved layer.
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    I have just bought a Gore Tempo jersey and would suggest that it is better than the Assos Airblock jacket which I previously used. The fabric may not be as felxible as the Assos jersey but it is still really comfy and seems to be warmer. I used to have to wear a long sleeved base layer and a long sleeved jersey under the Assos jacket in the depths of winter which was a bit bulky. I recently went out for a ride when it was only 4 degrees and only needed the Gore jacket and a long sleeved layer.
  • Adidas Adistar ClimaProof Arctic Jacket, if you can get one, Gore Tool Jersey underneath,
  • Damn - thanks for all the replies!!!!!

I'm now definitely on the hunt for a Gore Tool jacket.

Hopefully this winter won't be as painful as last. :)