Squeak, squeak....aaaargh

redjedi
redjedi Posts: 44
edited October 2007 in Workshop
Hello, Could someone give me any advice on a squeaky wheel please?

I have just picked up my new bike, and have noticed a squeak coming from the rear wheel. It is not constant, only when I get up to about 15-20mph, and continues even when I stop pedalling.

I have lubed the chain up and the rear cassette, but no joy. It doesn't happen when I turn the bike upside down and spin the wheel with my hand or crank the pedals around, only when I'm riding it, making it difficult to try and pinpoint the exact location.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try your jockey wheels on your rear mech - drop a spot of chain lube into the bushings and bye-bye to your little mouse!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    redjedi wrote:
    continues even when I stop pedalling.
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Try your jockey wheels on your rear mech - drop a spot of chain lube into the bushings and bye-bye to your little mouse!
    I suspect not!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It might not be the wheel, hard to tell where noises emanate.
    Is the squeak synchronised with the wheel revolutions or your pedalling cadence? If the latter it could be your saddle rails moving in the clamp very slightly. Try greasing the bolts and retighten or if the former it might be a brake pad catching on the rim although this would tend to stop when you were'nt pedalling as there would be no flex in the rim or the frame.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Could it be something as easily fixable as a poorly aligned brake block? I've had a block rubbing on the rim that made a different sound at different speeds. Maybe it is only audible at 15 - 20 mph? There may be just enough movement in the frame for it to only rub when you are riding it, so you wouldn't hear it when it was upside down?