Quill to aheadset converters

muthas
muthas Posts: 108
edited October 2007 in Workshop
I need a new stem for my bike which has the old threaded steerer/quill set up. I have noticed a lot more choice in terms of size, angle and cost with aheadset or threadless steerers. One choice I have is to convert my steerer tube so that it takes an aheadset stem via a converter.

The question is - does it work? Does it affect the handling? in short is it worth it? Has anyone out there fitted one?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• I fitted onw a fw weeks ago - have had no problems with it
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    I fitted one to an old road bike about 6 months ago and have had no problem with it. You get a better choice of stem and bars and it makes taking the bars off easier. I would not use a quill stem anymore
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've fitted a few - in particular helping friends with old bikes getting a better set-up. They are pretty well fit and forget and mean you don't have the expense of new forks and headsets. The only downside is the extra weight. There is a massive range of choice in terms of aheadset stems and you should be able to address 99% of bike fit problems. Generally, most quill stems are pretty flexy too, so you do notice an improvement in handling and feel with the stiffer stem.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Add me to the chorus of 'Yep, they work'. I have one on my hack bike. Does the job.
    John Stevenson
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    They work, but there is little point unless you have suitable ahead stems lying around. Why pay for a stem and for an adaptor, and carry the extra weight when you could just buy a quill stem and be done with it?

I have one bike with ahead, and one with a quill. I wish they both had quills. Quills are more adjustable (up and down) and prettier to my eyes. Get a Nitto Technomic if you need the bars high. A Pearl if you don't. Sorted :)

Ahead is a pain in the rear. Death to ahead!