lewis hamilton off to switzerland

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
Aww poor old Lewis Hamilton is moving to Siwtzerland because he has not had much time to see his family and friends !!
Yeah right, how is he going to see them there?
Nothing to do with avoiding taxes I guess!! greedy bugger.
He will now be the UK spots peresonality of the year no doubt.

Comments

• david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    Its attitudes like yours that drive celebrities to these lengths!

Well Done :lol:
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Tosspots from The Sun and the Daily Diana Mail driving him away no doubt.
    He will now be the UK spots peresonality of the year no doubt.
    Amateur sport apart, I can't think of anyone else to give it to. He made a two times World Champion look ordinary on occasions. Who else are we going to give it to? One of those underpaid, overachieving louts we have represent us at the national game?
  • Rugby team will win "Team of the Year" I reckon.

Mourinho the "Overseas Personality" in a tear fest of how much we all miss him.

:roll:

I might not watch it this year.

In fact after the disgraceful non-interview of Nicole Cooke last year..
    Do you fall off often?

...I am more than likely not going to bother.
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    Who else could win it? Ricky Hatton but I'm not sure if the show/voting will be after his Mayweather fight or Calzaghe.

I love the fact that he's gone to Switzerland. I'm sure Wayne Rooney and all the others would live there if they could and then commute back for training and matches!
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    James Toseland should win it, British and the 2007 World Champion......

It's just a shame that those pesky motorbikes are seen as dangerous and don't get any recognition in this country....
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I hope the BBC have learnt from last years mistakes. That was so embarassing. Not just Cooke but the whole thing. How hard can it be to put a 5 minute video together on each athlete, think up 2 or 3 pertinent questions then open the vote?
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Why did Hamilton speak about going to live in Switzerland anyway? I guess he was asked but he gave quite a full explanation that opens him up to criticism somewhat. I would have just shrugged and said its a better base for his work or something. No doubt now the tabloids are giving him a kicking which is probably exactly why he has moved. I for one don't blame him at all. Especially with the Swiss alps on his doorstep! Wonder of he's got a bike, quite interesting to see how he (or other racing drivers) handles an alpine descent.
  • Rugby team will win "Team of the Year" I reckon.

Mourinho the "Overseas Personality" in a tear fest of how much we all miss him.

:roll:

I might not watch it this year.

In fact after the disgraceful non-interview of Nicole Cooke last year..
    Do you fall off often?

...I am more than likely not going to bother.

I won't watch it this year, I no longer have a TV because of last year's Zara-fcucking Phillips debacle. I refuse to pay for a TV licence to support that!! I kid you not!!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I can't see what the fuss is about, it's hardly a new thing. Brit F1 drivers have almost always moved abroad to a tax haven. Coulthard and Button are in Monaco, while Mansell went to, err, The Isle of Man.
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    Mog Uk wrote:
    James Toseland should win it, British and the 2007 World Champion......

Yeah, all this fuss about England missing out on the Rugby, Hamilton missing out on the F1 title, no mention of Toseland winning the WSB title for a second time......sad really.. :(
  • or Chrissie Wellington winning the ironmani?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    david 142 wrote:
    Its attitudes like yours that drive celebrities to these lengths!

Well Done :lol:
    How do you work that one out?
    Why does he not just admit that he is moving there to avoid paying tax.
    Pople must be very naieve if they believe he is going there for any other reason.
    As for the sports personality award, unfortunately the BBC more or less decide where it goes. You will only see a few of the "major" sports represented.
    As others suggested, motor bike racing will not really be pushed, same as Nicole last year, and neither will Joe Calzhage probably, though in my opinion he would be a worthy winner after his performance against Jeff Lacy. Also maybe Ricky Hatton.
    remember Hamilton did not win the title, in fact he lost it. I did like hime at start of year and he is obviously very talented and I hoped he would not change but there early signs he already has unfortunately.
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    How do you work that one out?

Oh Dear. Sorry! Just flirting with irony again - I'll get the hang of it one day...
    I think you're right about his motives and quite probably about the Sports Personality Award, which is particularly sad because The England rugby team gave us all a smashing example of sportsmanship, pulling their hearts out right up to the last whistle and behaving with dignity afterwards, in the best tradition of "Its taking part that matters..."
    Oh! Hamilton didnt win either!
    Hey! Maybe its not a foregone conclusion :lol:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's funny, you'd think the whole point of being stonkingly rich is that you can live where ever you like. But you get the contrary, your wealth ends up as an influence on where to live.

That said, Switzerland is a great place to live. I think he'll pay 4% income tax, live in a pristine environment that's perfect for his fitness regime, including cycling.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    And have Schumacher as a neighbour/mentor.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    The local paper is saying he will be moving to Luins near Geneva. He'll have to watch out though, as a non Swiss he and his whole family could be deported if any of them commit a crime. Still when you are as rich as he will become you can negotiate your own tax rate in Switzerland.

The paper also refers to him as a Neo-Schweizer, I guess that is meant as a compliment. Doesn’t Nicole Cooke live over here as well?
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Term1te wrote:
    The local paper is saying he will be moving to Luins near Geneva.

So he will be a neighbour of Schumacher's? Intriguing...

Cooke is in the Italian canton, down in Lugano. A neo-Ticinese?
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    Lewis 2007 salary £400,000
    2008 salary x 20 !

Sports personality comeback award - Paula in New York.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Nigel Mansell cleared off to the Isle of Man didnt he?
    jc
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    I find this really annoying. How much money does anyone need, greedy bastard that he is. What would be sweet when people fuck off to wherever is if the British sporting associations told them that they have to rescind their British licence and compete for the country of their choosing. Then the tabloids and the great unwashed lose interest in them and the sponsors don't want to know anymore. Wishful thinking on my part I know but it would serve them right.
    I have pain!
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    Wonder of he's got a bike, quite interesting to see how he (or other racing drivers) handles an alpine descent.

With the reaction speeds they must have? I ain't racing them after they've had a few days practice.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • RedAende
    Mark Webber the Red Bull driver is a keen cyclist and follows le tour when possible.

I think most of them cycle as part of their fitness regime.

Didn't one of them injure themselves crashing a MTB, Montoya ? Raikkonen ?

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    he doesn't really consider himself british anyway does he? - hence the jamaican flag on his helmet.

I hope him moving on to switzerland will mean he won't be on every bloody newspaper and sport website all the time.
  • RedAende
    His helmet is Brazilan, not Jamaican, a copy of Ayrton Senna's.

And his family are from Grenada iirc.

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    oh - right - that explains things a little - hence the obsession with the press over him going to Ayrtons gravesite at the Brazil gp

i'm still sick of the sight of him though..